Re: [PBML] BRAND NEW to Perl

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
      >>>>> "mike" == mike austin23 <mike_austin23@...> writes:

      mike> Hello all. My name, as you can see from my Yahoo ID, is Mike. My
      mike> wife and I are web site designers. We are new to alot of the
      mike> languages involved with designing, so we ask for your patience with
      mike> us. Right now, I have TWO questions that should prove to be EASY for
      mike> the most of you. I have been told that I would need to learn the
      mike> basics of Perl in order to accomplish this. (If this information is
      mike> incorrect, someone please point me in the right direction.)

      Yes... the resources at http://learn.perl.org/ should be pretty helpful to
      you.

    • mike_austin23
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
        Thanks for the information! I am thankful that there are so many
        experts in this group!
      • tnas
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2006
          See the following references:
          perldoc CGI;
          perldoc DBI;

          mike_austin23 escreveu:

          > Hello all. My name, as you can see from my Yahoo ID, is Mike. My
          > wife and I are web site designers. We are new to alot of the
          > languages involved with designing, so we ask for your patience with
          > us. Right now, I have TWO questions that should prove to be EASY for
          > the most of you. I have been told that I would need to learn the
          > basics of Perl in order to accomplish this. (If this information is
          > incorrect, someone please point me in the right direction.)
          >
          > 1. We are needing to add a form on one of our web sites (www.git-r-
          > didcountryauctions.com). We need to allow our visitors to sign up
          > for a newsletter that we are in the process of creating. All we want
          > is their first name and email address and the ability to add it to a
          > database file so that we can send the newsletter to all that
          > subscribe. ALSO, we need something that will grant them the ability
          > to cancel their subscription to the newsletter without having to
          > manually edit this information.
          >
          > 2. We need something on another site so that possible customers can
          > send us their contact information through our web site instead of
          > having to utilize something like Outlook (since some people still do
          > not use this program).
          >
          > All help would be GREATLY appreciated!
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Mike Southern
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2006
            Writing HTML pages is easy. Writing server-side processes is not so easy. A
            simple "how to learn perl" is not all you need here. You're mentioning
            databases, mailing list maintainence, user-based data entry to name ut a few
            items. Those subjects in turn cover quite volatile areas of server security,
            database design and data validation.

            Learning perl is really the end part of the process and you should probably
            start with literature that gives you a comprehensive overview of the design
            skills needed before you attempt code writing.

            It is also possible to meet your needs by googling for ready-made perl
            scripts that do what you want. However, even for that you will need some
            knowledge to debug, and, again, definitely a lot of knowledge about the
            overall design of your site.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
              I personally designed the site, so the background knowledge of it is
              most definitely present. As far as the databases, maintenance of
              lists, and security, I was hoping to learn about these things over
              time.

              As I previously stated, I am a willing student. Computers and
              programming are something that I have always had an interest in;
              therefore, I am extremely open-minded to learning new and
              interesting subjects.

              I would like to thank everyone for their responses so far, and hope
              to be able to learn new things from as many experienced people as
              possible!

              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Mike Southern <gb1198@...>