Re: [PBML] understanding evaluations - if not working

  • Noah
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006
      Chad Perrin wrote:
      > On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 09:39:37AM -0700, Noah wrote:
      >
      >> Hi
      >>
      >> Okay I cant seem to figure out why the following 'if' statement is not
      >> working. The following evaluation is considering the variables a match
      >> and is entering the brackets. From my perspective they are not a match.
      >> what am I doing wrong?
      >>
      >> $community_subname = AS9633-AGGS_mcast;
      >> $loop_subname = AS9633-AGGS;
      >>

      > You need to quote your strings.

      Hi,

      okay did that. the strings are in quotes now.

      >> if ( $community_subname == "$loop_subname" ) {
      >> is considering the above variables a match is entering the brackets.
      >> }
      >>

      > You also need to use the string comparison operator, "eq", rather than
      > the numeric comparison operator, "==".

      I am using the eq operator that didnt help either. any other clues?

      cheers,
      Noah

    • Noah
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006

        >> if ( $community_subname == "$loop_subname" ) {
        >> is considering the above variables a match is entering the brackets.
        >> }
        >>

        > You also need to use the string comparison operator, "eq", rather than
        > the numeric comparison operator, "==".

        actually I was reading things wrong. the comparison is working fine.

        thanks,

        Cheers,

        Noah

      • Paul Archer
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006
          Turn on warnings, and you'll have your answer.
          *Always* turn on warnings, and you'll have your answer much more often.

          Paul

          9:39am, Noah wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > Okay I cant seem to figure out why the following 'if' statement is not
          > working. The following evaluation is considering the variables a match
          > and is entering the brackets. From my perspective they are not a match.
          > what am I doing wrong?
          >

          > $community_subname = AS9633-AGGS_mcast;
          > $loop_subname = AS9633-AGGS;
          >

          > if ( $community_subname == "$loop_subname" ) {
          > is considering the above variables a match is entering the brackets.
          > }
          >

          > cheers,
          >
          > Noah

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          As to Jesus of Nazareth...I think the system of Morals and his
          Religion, as he left them to us, the best the World ever saw
          or is likely to see; but I apprehend it has received various
          corrupting Changes, and I have, with most of the present
          Dissenters in England, some doubts as to his divinity.
          --------------------Benjamin Franklin---------------------------
        • Noah
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006
            Paul Archer wrote:
            > Turn on warnings, and you'll have your answer.
            > *Always* turn on warnings, and you'll have your answer much more often.
            >
            > Paul

            thanks Paul - will do.

            cheers,

            Noah
          • Phanidhar
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
              Hi Noah,

              Please replace the operator '==' with 'eq'. It will works..

              Thanks,
              Phani.

              Noah <admin2@...> wrote: Hi