OT: Terminal Emulators

  • essential quint
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
      I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a
      good terminal emulator for coding Perl? I've been using Putty, but I cant
      get it to cut and paste using the mouse. I'd be willing to pay a bit for
      good one that would suit my needs.
    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "essential quint"
        <quintessential1@...> wrote:

        > I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could
        recommend a
        > good terminal emulator for coding Perl? I've been using Putty, but
        I cant
        > get it to cut and paste using the mouse. I'd be willing to pay a
        bit for
        > good one that would suit my needs.

        This lack of cut/paste is annoying.
        You can copy the entire session to the clipboard, paste it into
        Notepad and copy from there. Yes, it is tedious.

        I know that you can paste using Shift-Insert.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006

          essential> I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could
          essential> recommend a good terminal emulator for coding Perl? I've been
          essential> using Putty, but I cant get it to cut and paste using the mouse.
          essential> I'd be willing to pay a bit for good one that would suit my needs.

          I use Terminal.app on my OSX, or GNU Emacs.

          Oh, you don't have a mac? :-) Perhaps specifying the architecture would have
          gotten you better answers.

        • Damien Carbery
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
            <quintessential1@...> wrote:

            > I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could
            recommend a
            > good terminal emulator for coding Perl? I've been using Putty, but
            I cant
            > get it to cut and paste using the mouse. I'd be willing to pay a
            bit for
            > good one that would suit my needs.

            I used PuTTY on Windows. The lack of cut/copy-paste is annoying.
            I use the 'Copy to clipboard' option (that is probably not the exact
            text) to copy all the session text. I paste this into Notepad and then
            copy the bit I need. Yes it's tedious.
            I can use Shift-Insert to paste into my PuTTY session.