Re: [PBML] Global special variable

  • Chad Perrin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2006
      On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:26:05PM -0300, tnas wrote:
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I'm using the format command and faced me with the global special
      > variable $^A.
      > What is this variable?

      $ACCUMULATOR
      $^A The current value of the write() accumulator for format() lines. A
      format contains formline() calls that put their result into $^A. After
      calling its format, write() prints out the contents of $^A and empties.
      So you never really see the contents of $^A unless you call formline()
      yourself and then look at it. See perlform and "formline()" in perl-
      func.

      In the future, you can look this up yourself at perldoc perlvar (or man
      perlvar if you prefer that approach).

      "There comes a time in the history of any project when it becomes necessary
      to shoot the engineers and begin production." - MacUser, November 1990