Re: [PBML] Re: File lookup?

  • DigiDoc
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 5, 2006
      Great, thanks for the reply.

      I think I understand the majority of this code. I'll research the
      DBD::CSV as well. I definitely would not have known about that without
      your help. THANK YOU!!!!!

      I can read a fair amount of Perl code, but am just not up to quickly
      putting code together yet (and probably not for some time). It takes me
      forever.

      This helps me out immensely.

      Dumb question. If I read this correctly, you've hard coded the files,
      how would I set it up to make these variables?

      Thanks!

      ~~Kevin~

      > You could try the following code on your sample data.
      >
      > If you will be 'massaging' the data in file-2,
      > you might consider treating your second
      > file as a database (using DBD::CSV).
      >

      > #!/usr/bin/perl
      > use strict;
      > use warnings;
      >
      > my %ids;
      >
      > open my $id, "<", "o33.txt" or die "Unable to open o33.txt $!";
      >
      > while (<$id>) {
      > chomp;
      > $ids{$_} = 1;
      > }
      >
      > close $id or die $!;
      >
      > open my $data, "<", "o44.txt" or die "Unable to open o44.txt $!";
      > open my $out, ">", "o55.txt" or die "Couldn't write results $!";
      >
      > while (<$data>) {
      > my $key = (split /,/)[0];
      > if ($ids{$key}) {
      > print $out $_;
      >
      > close $data or die $!;
      > close $out or die $!;

    • Alan_C
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 6, 2006
        On Monday 05 June 2006 19:16, DigiDoc wrote:
        [ . . ]
        > Dumb question. If I read this correctly, you've hard coded the files,
        > how would I set it up to make these variables?

        http://groups.google.com/group/perl.beginners/browse_thread/thread/69865c81985c57f4/7d45c2b46cb7ba2b#7d45c2b46cb7ba2b

        Take a look at the code in that it uses shift

        A command line example:

        perlscript file1

        in that above command line example, file1 will be opened as filehandle OLD

        if need to, can be set up to shift more than one file off the command line.

        Further search topics be: shift, commandline, command line, ARGV, @ARGV,
        $ARGV, $ARGV[0], $ARGV[1]

        try search at <http://learn.perl.org/first-response> too likely turn up lots
        yet even more.

        --
        Alan.
      • DigiDoc
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 6, 2006
          Thanks for all the help to this question.

          I've got it working with the $ARGV stuff. I've got more tweaks I want
          to make, but the base code you provided really helps me out.

          I'm thinking I'll want to make a GUI out of it now. I was doing some
          research and found "The GUI Loft". It's a front end that uses
          Win32::GUI. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like what I need. If
          anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know.

          I can't tell me how much time you've saved me, not to mention that I've
          learned a few things as well. Code examples help me out a great deal, I
          tend to learn faster from them.

          Thanks!

        • Ken Shail
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 6, 2006
            Thanks for all the help to this question.

            I've got it working with the $ARGV stuff. I've got more tweaks I want
            to make, but the base code you provided really helps me out.

            I'm thinking I'll want to make a GUI out of it now. I was doing some
            research and found "The GUI Loft". It's a front end that uses
            Win32::GUI. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like what I need. If
            anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know.

            I can't tell me how much time you've saved me, not to mention that I've
            learned a few things as well. Code examples help me out a great deal, I
            tend to learn faster from them.

            Thanks!

            Perl Tk - works on Linux and windoze
            http://dc.pm.org/talks/tk/home.html
            http://www.perltk.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
            http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.perl.tk/ptkFAQ.html
          • DigiDoc
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 6, 2006
              Thanks for the links.

              I was looking at that, but couldn't find a nice front end that lets you
              work visually. The GUI Loft let's you do things visually, then
              generates the code for you. Is there something in tk that does that, or
              am I missing something? Or at the very least, some application that has
              some kind of code snippets that are easy to insert?

              My goal is to develop code as rapidly as possible since I'll have a lot
              to crank out.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 6, 2006
                On Tuesday 06 June 2006 13:24, DigiDoc wrote:
                > Thanks for the links.

                [ > > Perl Tk - works on Linux and windoze ]

                (if you quote a bit of context, it makes it easier for me (+ probably some
                others) to track this thread and to then offer any help if I have any help to
                offer.

                > I was looking at that, but couldn't find a nice front end that lets you
                > work visually. The GUI Loft let's you do things visually, then
                > generates the code for you. Is there something in tk that does that, or
                > am I missing something? Or at the very least, some application that has
                > some kind of code snippets that are easy to insert?
                >
                > My goal is to develop code as rapidly as possible since I'll have a lot
                > to crank out.

                There's WX Widgets. It has drag and drop (for the builder). It's cross
                platform ie Win, Linux, etc. There's article on WX Widgets in the
                latest "The Perl Review" (for subscribers) hey it's reasonable enough and I
                look forward to each issue's arrival. (I've no affiliation, just a
                subscriber).

                http://www.theperlreview.com/

                The summer issue has article on WX Widgets.

                Other than what I've shared, I know nothing about WX. I want to try it but
                it'll be + few weeks until I do due to other business currently.