RE: [PBML] validating form fields

  • essential quint
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
      Please note that I do NOT wish to use Javascript to do the validation.

      I should have made this clear when I asked the question.

      Am looking specifically for form validation techniques using perl on the
      server side.

      TIA,

      quint

      >From: "essential quint" <quintessential1@...>
      >To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [PBML] validating form fields
      >Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 22:48:43 +0000
      >
      >Greetings,
      >
      >Can anyone share good ways to validate whether or not all fields on a form
      >have been completed, so that the user cannot proceed to submit a form
      >unless
      >all reequired fields have been completed?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >quint

    • Mr. Shawn H. Corey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
        On Thu, 2006-01-06 at 22:48 +0000, essential quint wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > Can anyone share good ways to validate whether or not all fields on a form
        > have been completed, so that the user cannot proceed to submit a form unless
        > all reequired fields have been completed?

        A user can _always_ submit a form, with or without any field filled in.
        The most easiest way is:

        http://your_web_site?submit

        You should always validate any submission even if you use Javascript on
        the form to preprocess the form. See `perldoc perlsec` and search for
        "Laundering and Detecting Tainted Data"

        --
        __END__

        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        --- Shawn

        "For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
        Aristotle

        * A searchable perldoc is at http://perldoc.perl.org/
      • essential quint
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9 11:08 PM
          I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a
          good terminal emulator for coding Perl? I've been using Putty, but I cant
          get it to cut and paste using the mouse. I'd be willing to pay a bit for
          good one that would suit my needs.
        • Damien Carbery
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10 2:49 AM
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "essential quint"
            <quintessential1@...> wrote:

            > I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could
            recommend a
            > good terminal emulator for coding Perl? I've been using Putty, but
            I cant
            > get it to cut and paste using the mouse. I'd be willing to pay a
            bit for
            > good one that would suit my needs.

            This lack of cut/paste is annoying.
            You can copy the entire session to the clipboard, paste it into
            Notepad and copy from there. Yes, it is tedious.

            I know that you can paste using Shift-Insert.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10 6:13 AM

              essential> I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could
              essential> recommend a good terminal emulator for coding Perl? I've been
              essential> using Putty, but I cant get it to cut and paste using the mouse.
              essential> I'd be willing to pay a bit for good one that would suit my needs.

              I use Terminal.app on my OSX, or GNU Emacs.

              Oh, you don't have a mac? :-) Perhaps specifying the architecture would have
              gotten you better answers.

            • Damien Carbery
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10 6:47 AM
                <quintessential1@...> wrote:

                > I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could
                recommend a
                > good terminal emulator for coding Perl? I've been using Putty, but
                I cant
                > get it to cut and paste using the mouse. I'd be willing to pay a
                bit for
                > good one that would suit my needs.

                I used PuTTY on Windows. The lack of cut/copy-paste is annoying.
                I use the 'Copy to clipboard' option (that is probably not the exact
                text) to copy all the session text. I paste this into Notepad and then
                copy the bit I need. Yes it's tedious.
                I can use Shift-Insert to paste into my PuTTY session.