special character usage?

  • Alex Cordero
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2006
      Can someone give me an example of how these characters are used?

      \n = new line
      \t = tab
      \f = form feed character.

      Can you search for these in sentences? For example... I want to search
      for "\f" characters to suppres its printing.

      Or how are metacharacters used?

      thanks

      -jac
    • Chad Perrin
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2006
        On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 08:48:19AM -0000, Alex Cordero wrote:
        > Can someone give me an example of how these characters are used?
        >
        > \n = new line
        > \t = tab
        > \f = form feed character.
        >
        > Can you search for these in sentences? For example... I want to search
        > for "\f" characters to suppres its printing.
        >
        > Or how are metacharacters used?

        Err, yes, you can search for metacharacters using regular expressions.
        If you have perldoc installed, type "perldoc perlre" and read all about
        it.

        Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of
        others we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any
        Invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously."