perl beginnings with CGI

  • David Seruyange
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2006
      Hey all,

      wondering if a CGI can be an entry point for a web app as the default
      request for a directory. For example if I put index.html or index.asp
      or whatever in a directory then a request for that directory will
      default to that file. With CGI however, it seems like the *.cgi |
      *.plx files are in a different directory to begin with...

      How is this usually structured? I was thinking of working around this
      with an IFRAME that pointed to the CGI directory script that I wanted
      to execute but wasn't sure if this was a hack or the way people did
      things.

      Thanks much,

      David aka t3rse
    • Mr. Shawn H. Corey
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2006
        On Mon, 2006-03-04 at 18:29 +0000, David Seruyange wrote:
        > Hey all,
        >
        > wondering if a CGI can be an entry point for a web app as the default
        > request for a directory. For example if I put index.html or index.asp
        > or whatever in a directory then a request for that directory will
        > default to that file. With CGI however, it seems like the *.cgi |
        > *.plx files are in a different directory to begin with...
        >
        > How is this usually structured? I was thinking of working around this
        > with an IFRAME that pointed to the CGI directory script that I wanted
        > to execute but wasn't sure if this was a hack or the way people did
        > things.
        >
        > Thanks much,
        >
        > David aka t3rse

        Most CGI scripts (even non-Perl scripts) are given the extension *.cgi.
        So index.cgi would be a valid CGI but the web server must be configured
        so that it recognizes this extension as a program to be run. Otherwise
        it will display the contents of the file. Also, it must be configured so
        that index.cgi is recognized as the index file, similar to index.html,
        index,shtml, index.xhtml, index.asp, index.plx, etc.

        Note that an IFRAME has the same difficulty as an URL. If the server
        does not recognize the *.cgi extension as a program to be run, it will
        send the contents of the file.

        --
        __END__

        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        --- Shawn

        "For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
        Aristotle

        * A searchable perldoc is at http://perldoc.perl.org/
      • JC
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006