Re: [PBML] minimise the code lines

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 28, 2006

      Shawn> As in all great philosophical debates, there is no right or wrong, just
      Shawn> a matter of emphasis. Your approach is focused on what the program is
      Shawn> doing, the action involved. Mine is on why the program is doing this,
      Shawn> the functionality involved. Why? Because the functionality reflects the
      Shawn> user's model, that is, what the user is thinking (or should be thinking)
      Shawn> when using the program. By stressing the functionality, the code
      Shawn> reflects the model. It is this that makes the program easier to
      Shawn> maintain; the user's model is there, embedded in the code, for the
      Shawn> maintainers to see and follow.

      OK, and as a programmer, I'm thinking:

      "These buttons all need to be at the default state.
      Set all these buttons to default."

      So I write the action "set a button to default"
      and then I write the action to apply it to a list of buttons.

      How could it be any clearer than that? How could any way of writing it
      differently express a "why" any clearer?

      But it seems that you will just continue to disagree, so let's just agree that
      if I were to see that code in a code review, I would suggest rewriting it as I
      have done, and you probably would argue the other way. You're right, there's
      no "right" here. There's only "clearer to me" and "clearer to you".