Re: [PBML] Which perl module will read/write Access2002 tables?

  • Jenda Krynicky
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2006
      From: "George Gallen" <g_gallen@...>
      > Can the ODBC be used if ACCESS is not on the PC?

      Assuming the PC has the MS Access ODBC drivers installed, yes. For
      windows they are part of the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components).

      > I only have the .mdb
      > files. I have Access2000, just not Access2002. And the setup is: the
      > Access files are on a W2k machine, and the perl routine will be on a
      > Redhat machine with the windows directory mounted via smbmount.

      That's a bit of a problem. I believe there are some Access drivers
      for Unix, but I don't know where and I don't know whether they are
      free. You may need to do it a little differently.

      You may need to use DBD::Proxy. So you'd run a script on the W2k
      machine that'd act as a server and would connect to the Access
      database via ODBC and the script(s) running under Unix would connect
      to this script.

      Sorry, I've never tried this myself.

      Jenda
      -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery