Installing CPAN modules to your own private directories

  • buxh42a
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
      Hi
      I have downloaded a few CPAN modules that I think would help me, but
      I am having trouble installing them into my own private directories (I
      don't have permissions to install them into the usual Perl directories).

      I am trying to install the HTML-Parser module like this:

      perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site INSTALLSITELIB=$HOME/perl/private_libs

      perl -e Makefile.pl

      make install

      and receive this error:

      Warning: You do not have permissions to install into
      /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.2/PA-RISC2.0 at
      /opt/perl/lib/5.8.2/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 114.
      Cannot forceunlink
      /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.2/PA-RISC2.0/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.sl:
      Permission denied at /opt/perl/lib/5.8.2/File/Find.pm line 856
      make: *** [pure_site_install] Error 255

      What am I doing wrong? Am I not setting a variable correctly?
      Omitting one?

      Sam
    • Donato Azevedo
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
        On 2/6/06, buxh42a <buxh42a@...> wrote:

        > Warning: You do not have permissions to install into
        > /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.2/PA-RISC2.0 at
        > /opt/perl/lib/5.8.2/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 114.
        > Cannot forceunlink
        > /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.2/PA-RISC2.0/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.sl:
        > Permission denied at /opt/perl/lib/5.8.2/File/Find.pm line 856
        > make: *** [pure_site_install] Error 255

        have you tried GREPing the makefile.pl for those directories and then
        editting then to your need?
        (ps: not so sure as to whether that would work ;)

        Donato Azevedo - UFMG - Eng Ctrl Aut
        the first rule of Perl Club is you don't talk about Perl Club
        Slackware user #390325
      • Paul Archer
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
          4:12pm, buxh42a wrote:

          > Hi
          > I have downloaded a few CPAN modules that I think would help me, but
          > I am having trouble installing them into my own private directories (I
          > don't have permissions to install them into the usual Perl directories).
          >
          > I am trying to install the HTML-Parser module like this:
          >
          > perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site INSTALLSITELIB=$HOME/perl/private_libs
          >
          > perl -e Makefile.pl

          Why are you running 'perl Makefile.pl' twice? The second time overwrites the
          output generated the first time.

          Also, you might try:
          INSTALLDIRS=site INSTALLSITELIB=$HOME/perl/private_libs perl Makefile.pl

          Paul
        • buxh42a
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
            This is what I type and get back:

            $ perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site INSTALLSITELIB=$HOME/perl/private_libs

            Perl-5.7 provide experimental core support for Unicode strings. You
            can compile HTML::Entities so that Unicode entities like € and
            € are decoded into a string containing "\x{20AC}". If you
            select no to the question below such entities will be left alone and
            only entities in the Latin-1 range is decoded.

            Do you want decoding on unicode entities? [no] no
            Writing Makefile for HTML::Parser

            $ make install
            cc -c -Ae -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings -I/usr/local/include
            -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 +O2 +Onolimit
            -DVERSION=\"3.26\" -DXS_VERSION=\"3.26\" +Z
            "-I/opt/perl/lib/5.8.2/PA-RISC2.0/CORE" -DMARKED_SECTION Parser.c
            cc: "/usr/include/sys/socket.h", line 504: warning 562: Redeclaration
            of "sendfile" with a different storage class specifier: "sendfile"
            will have internal linkage.
            cc: "/usr/include/sys/socket.h", line 505: warning 562: Redeclaration
            of "sendpath" with a different storage class specifier: "sendpath"
            will have internal linkage.
            Running Mkbootstrap for HTML::Parser ()
            chmod 644 Parser.bs
            rm -f blib/arch/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.sl
            LD_RUN_PATH="" /usr/bin/ld -b +vnocompatwarnings -L/usr/local/lib
            Parser.o -o blib/arch/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.sl
            chmod 755 blib/arch/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.sl
            cp Parser.bs blib/arch/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.bs
            chmod 644 blib/arch/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.bs
            Manifying blib/man3/HTML::PullParser.3
            Manifying blib/man3/HTML::Entities.3
            Manifying blib/man3/HTML::Parser.3
            Manifying blib/man3/HTML::TokeParser.3