Re: [PBML] Ampersand sign pre-fix on calling of a sub-routine

  • John J. Francini
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
      According to the Perl Cookbook (O'Reilly), Chapter 10:

      "Calling a function as $x = &func; does not supply any arguments, but
      rather provides direct access to its caller's @_ array! If you omit
      the ampersand and use either func() or func, then a new and empty @_
      is provided instead."

      There is nothing I can recall in either the Perl Cookbook,
      Programming Perl (the Camel Book), or anywhere else that says that an
      ampersand is used to differentiate a user-defined function from a
      pre-defined one.

      An additional statement of the & operator is given in the Camel Book,
      Chapter 6, Subroutines:

      "The official name of a subroutine includes the & prefix. A
      subroutine may be called using the prefix, but the & is usually
      optional, and so are the parentheses if the subroutine has been
      predeclared. However, the & is not optional when you're just naming
      the subroutine, such as when it's used as an argument to defined or
      undef or when you want to generate a reference to a named subroutine
      by saying $subref = \&name. Nor is the & optional when you want to
      make an indirect subroutine call using the &$subref() or &{$subref}()
      constructs. However, the more convenient $subref->() notation does
      not require it. See Chapter 8, "References" for more about references
      to subroutines."

      Hope this helps!

      John Francini

      --