Re: [PBML] Faith restored..

  • fkleinbu@lazy-kay.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      >From: Peter Dominey <pdominey@...>
      >Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 09:29:09 -0600
      >

      >While not a Perl guru, hence my subscription to this group, I have to
      >concur with your thoughts.

      I've been told a guru is one who knows 10% more than the person asking
      the question <grin>..

      >I too have very strong suspicion that so much of the code today is buggy
      >and error prone because there is no strong desire or requirement to
      >produce clean, efficient, tight code.
      [snip]

      I was recently tasked to re-write a shell script file monitor in perl..
      Reading the shell script, I came to the point in which the code determined
      the file name, and then performed a read of the directory, loading in each
      occurance of the file name into an array, then looping though the array,
      calculating how many file names were returned, and then added some logic
      get the correct file..

      While the code to do this was fairly nice and compact, the way the filename
      was constructed, there could never be more than a single file name returned..

      The whole section could have been done with a "if ( -e <filename> )".. I
      was
      in disbelief..

      flk k