Re: [PBML] Re: Virus programming

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
      >>>>> "acummingsus" == acummingsus <acelists@...> writes:

      acummingsus> (I'm guessing that something *really* happens to either the inode(s)
      acummingsus> and/or the index_or_recording_or_what_keeps_track of the inodes)

      A directory contains a list of inodes associated with names in that directory.
      "rm -rf" does a depth-first removal of each directory entry by unlinking,
      which reduces the link count of each inode. (When the link count gets to 0,
      the data blocks belonging to the inode are also freed, and the inode itself is
      marked empty and available for re-use.) When the directory is empty, the
      parent directory is then scanned, until we get all the way to the top.

      Any open file will still be alive at the end of such a process (open files
      count toward the link count in a soft way), although not much else is going to
      happen once there are no more entries in the file system.

      acummingsus> I actually would be interested in the difference. (I'm guessing
      acummingsus> that /dev/null is a null device)

      The device normally mknod'ed to /dev/null returns "written successfully" for
      any bytes written, and "0" for number of bytes read (traditionally indicating
      EOF). Thus, it's for stream I/O only, and not for any disposal of files.

    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
        Any suggestions here?

        Paul

        Tuesday, Paul Archer wrote:

        >> try this at the prompt
        >>

        >> echo 49121642460476302043559655325609735240131249408713384930308013834P
        >> | dc
        >>

        > This brings us back to Perl, with my attempt at a 'stupid DC tricks
        > generator':
        >
        > The problem is that strings longer than about eight characters produce values
        > that get represented in exponential notation. I've tried 'use integer', which
        > limits the size that the variable can be, and I've played around with printf
        > to no good effect.
        > So, how do you create really, really large integers in Perl without them
        > getting truncated, or binding C functions?
        >
        > echo 345232469002P | dc
        >

        > #!/usr/bin/perl
        > use warnings;
        > use strict;
        > #use integer;
        >
        > print "gimme a string: ";
        > my $string=<STDIN>;
        > # no chomp 'cause we want the newline for the dc output
        > print "string is $string";
        >
        > our $total=0;
        >
        > foreach my $char (split //, $string){
        >
        > $total *=256;
        > $total += ord($char);
        > }
        >
        > print "total is $total\n";
        > printf "echo %luP | dc\n", $total;

        Q: What do Winnie-the-Pooh and John the Baptist have in common?
        A: Their middle name.