[PBML] Re: Help me!

  • Skyward
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2000
      Hello Seth J, er, Yodhert,

      Welcome to the world of Perl. It's a great language and if you learn it,
      you can earn it (money that is!).

      One of the best places to start would be to download some of the GREAT perl
      scripts (programs) that are out there
      for FREE! I suggest you go to: http://www.cgi-resources.com or
      http://www.freecode.com and download some simple scripts. Install them
      (most have readme files and walk you through the process) and then disect
      them and see how they work. That's how I learned the most. You can install
      Microsoft Personal Web Server (or some other free server) on your PC and
      then install Perl
      (which is free from http://www.activestate.com ), and you can run your
      programs right on your PC without even being online.

      For a tutorial, try http://agora.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/start.html

      Good luck and subscribe to ALL the perl news groups as a source of help.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2000
        Here's another link I forgot to include: 8=)

        http://cs.millersv.edu/perl.dir/perl.html

        Dave

        >I really want to learn how to write PERL. Can anyone help me. Im a 13 year
        >old. I live on allowence, not a salary, so if you suggest anything, it
        might
        >as well be free, cause something that costs money wont help me very much.
        If
        >anyone can help me PLEASE DO!
        >
        >Thanks!
        >(My parents wont let me send my name over the internet)
        >So I am
        >Yodhert
        >
        >Thanks again!

        >Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1

        >You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com:

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=perl-beginner&m=1

      • Ingenue
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2000
          www.perl.com

          I really want to learn how to write PERL. Can anyone help me. Im a 13 year
          old. I live on allowence, not a salary, so if you suggest anything, it might
          as well be free, cause something that costs money wont help me very much. If
          anyone can help me PLEASE DO!

          Thanks!
          (My parents wont let me send my name over the internet)
          So I am
          Yodhert

          Thanks again!

          http://click.egroups.com/1/2377/1/_/12898/_/953258963/

          -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=perl-beginner&m=1
        • Philip Lima
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2000
            Here is the location of a nice tutorial:

            http://www.netcat.co.uk/rob/perl/win32perltut.html

            Enjoy learning to benefiting yourself early.

            Best to you in your endeavors,

            Phil Lima
            SCT Global Government Solutions
            plima@...
          • Bill Lanier
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 20, 2000
              Seth is it? I have a son named Seth... Oh well, if you don't already
              have a copy of perl, go to activestate's site for their windows version
              (it's free), or go to www.perl.com and download the *nix version, which will
              have to be compiled (unless there is already a
              binary out there for your os).

              Good luck!

              _ . __ __
              W O R L D W I D E
              Bill Lanier
              Unix Technical Support Ph: (770) 723-4849
              4667 N. Royal Atlanta Drive Fx: (770) 493-2399
              Tucker, GA 30084 wlanie01@...