help

  • julian thomas p
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 11, 2006
      hello firends,
      iam new to this group.i need a help.how
      can we convert a normal text document into a xml
      file.for example if my document contains 1 heading 3
      different sub headings.can we convert into to xml
      document.if so plz help me.

      regards

      Julian

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • julian thomas p
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
        hello,
        i have wriiten a code fro gene identification.it works in local sever(apache in my home).but when iam trying to run the script in web(domain) i geeting a blank html page without any result.i have set perimmison 0700 for pl file and 0711 for the folder.pleae help me.

        regards
        julian

      • Paul Archer
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 7, 2006
          4:54pm, julian thomas p wrote:

          > hello,
          > i have wriiten a code fro gene identification.it works in local
          > sever(apache in my home).but when iam trying to run the script in
          > web(domain) i geeting a blank html page without any result.i have set
          > perimmison 0700 for pl file and 0711 for the folder.pleae help me.

          Permissions mean nothing if they are not for the right user. First, who
          *owns* the file and directory? Is it the same user that the webserver runs
          as? Second, 711 for a directory ('1' permissions in general) are unusual,
          and are of limited value.

          Quick permissions tutorial:
          1 = x (execute)
          2 = w (write)
          4 = r (read)

          On a file, these are pretty much self-explanatory. On a directory, they're a
          bit different.

          First, remember that a directory is just another file to Unix. So read
          permissions means you can read the (contents of the) directory file. What
          are the contents? They're a list of file names and inodes. (There's a bit
          more to it, but those are the important bits.) Read permissions, in other
          words, allow you to get a list of the files in the directory. Execute
          permissions allow you to access the directory. So with the execute
          permission set, you can 'cd' into the directory, and access the files
          within.

          Write permission allows you to write, or change, the file list in a
          directory. So with write permission set, you can add or remove files from
          the directory, and rename files in the directory. NOTE: That does *not*
          depend on you having permissions on the files themselves. As a regular user,
          you can remove a root-owned file from your home directory, because you have
          write permission (normally) on your own home directory.

          The directory is a room. The execute bit lets you enter. The read bit turns
          on the light so you can see, and the write bit means you can bring something
          into the room or take something out.

          Now, the other thing is the concept of user(owner) (the first number),
          group (the second number), and other(world) (the third number).
          Your permissions of 700 on the file mean that the owner (probably you) has
          read, write, and execute permissions (that's the 7=4+2+1), and the group and
          other categories (everyone else in the world, including your webserver!)
          have no permissions at all.

          OK, with all that said, have you looked at your webserver logs? Have you
          asked the webmaster? (Assuming that's not you--if it is, whoops, you're on
          your own.)
          Also, there's a perl-cgi mailing list which is somewhat more appropriate to
          questions like this--although this is really just a CGI/webserver question,
          and actually has nothing to do with Perl.

          Finally, remember that you are asking for help, which means you are asking
          for someone to take the time and energy to work on your problem. So taking a
          little time and energy of your own to make sure you post a well-written
          question with some attention to detail to make it more readable (fixing the
          spelling errors--which in this case are horrible--and capitalizing
          sentences) will help get more and better responses. Frankly, I felt like
          stretching my fingers and getting into teaching mode tonight. Otherwise,
          this post would have consisted of "check your logs."

          Paul

          Perl elegant? Perl is like your grandfather's garage. Sure, he kept
          most of it tidy to please your grandmother but there was always one
          corner where you could find the most amazing junk. And some days,
          when you were particularly lucky, he'd show you how it worked.
          ----------Shawn Corey <shawn.corey [at] sympatico.ca>--------------
        • julian thomas p
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 19, 2006
            hello,
            i had wriiten a tool in perl script,my query is "can we convert perl script into windows executable file(exe)".so that this can be run in any windows pc.

            Thank you

            Julian

          • Ramin Mutab Vatani
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 20, 2006
              Yes.You can convert your perl scripts to *.exe files. Just see this: http://www.indigostar.com/perl2exe.htm

              Ramin Moutab Vatani
              raminmutab@...

              i had wriiten a tool in perl script,my query is "can we convert perl script into windows executable file(exe)".so that this can be run in any windows pc.

              Thank you

              Julian

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Visit your group "perl-beginner" on the web.