Re: To retrieve selected text data from a webpage using perl script

  • jaya_devsm
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
      Thanks Rajesh,
      As iam very new user of PERL. If you give me an example for the same
      it would be more useful.

      Also,How to script, to search for keyword in webpage.eg say "contact
      us" in a web page.

      how to retrieve text from webpage using x and y coordinates

      Thanks and Regards,

      Jayadev SM

      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "RAJESH PETHE" <rpethe@m...>
      wrote:

      > Use the LWP Library from CPAN and use it to create a user agent.
      You can
      > retrieve the page and use regex to find the text that you are
      interested
      > in.
      > Thanks
      > Rajesh

      enclosure(s) or attachment(s) if any) are privileged and
      confidential material of MBT and should not be disclosed to, used by
      or copied in any manner by anyone other than the intended addressee
      (s). In case you are not the desired addressee, you should delete
      this message and/or re-direct it to the sender. The views expressed
      in this E-mail message (including the enclosure(s) or attachment(s)
      if any) are those of the individual sender, except where the sender
      expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of MBT.

      > This e-mail message including attachment/(s), if any, is believed
      to be free of any virus. However, it is the responsibility of the
      recipient to ensure that it is virus free and MBT is not responsible
      for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use

    • JC
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
        Google search "perl filetype:pl lwp"

        will provide you samples

        Best,

        JC

        --- jaya_devsm <jaya_devsm@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Rajesh,
        > As iam very new user of PERL. If you give me an
        > example for the same
        > it would be more useful.
        >
        > Also,How to script, to search for keyword in
        > webpage.eg say "contact
        > us" in a web page.
        >
        > how to retrieve text from webpage using x and y
        > coordinates
        >
        > Thanks and Regards,
        >
        > Jayadev SM
        >

        > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "RAJESH PETHE"
        > <rpethe@m...>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > Use the LWP Library from CPAN and use it to create
        > a user agent.
        > You can
        > > retrieve the page and use regex to find the text
        > that you are
        > interested
        > > in.
        > > Thanks
        > > Rajesh

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Dave Gray
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
          On 1/4/06, jaya_devsm <jaya_devsm@...> wrote:
          > Also,How to script, to search for keyword in webpage.eg say "contact
          > us" in a web page.
          >
          > how to retrieve text from webpage using x and y coordinates

          In order to get text at certain (x,y) coordinates, you would have to
          write a web browser, or do some other very tricky magic which I don't
          have time to do right now. Besides, it's not portable between browsers
          or operating systems.

          If you don't care about the actual HTML, just the text displayed on
          the page, and you happen to be running on a system that has lynx
          available (and the page renders semi-correctly in lynx), you can do:
          my $url = 'http://www.google.com/';
          my $content = `lynx -dump -nolist $url`;
          # text content of the page is in $content

          Otherwise, use LWP:
          <http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.805/lib/LWP/Simple.pm>
          use LWP::Simple;
          my $content = get("http://www.sn.no/");
          die "Couldn't get it!" unless defined $content;
          # html content of the page is in $content

          Finally, if you care about the structure of the HTML, use
          HTML::Parser, not regular expressions to parse the file.
          <http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/HTML-Parser-3.48/Parser.pm>

          Post some code to let us see what you tried.
        • Som Bhowmik
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
            Hi,
            I am doing a project on Perl.
            I am trying to make it efficient.
            Is it possible to set focus in a textfield on page load in perl?
            lease reply...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
              hi,

              It is possible to set focus for a textfield on your webpage.

              If you're using Perl-CGI,JavaScript in your project, you can write your own
              code...

              like window.load = ur own code to set focus

              request you to be more specific of what you want to do , languages included
              in the project so that forums members will respond fastly.

              Regards,
              KalyanRaj