Re: [PBML] Variable Interpolation

  • Shawn Corey
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
      merlyn@... wrote:
      > That's the point of defaults... they're the defaults because they're
      > the most common thing you would do with that operator *in that context*.

      The key phrase being "in that context". My issue is that the default
      depends on the context. If it was the same throughout the regardless of
      context, I wouldn't have a problem. The problem is that when I see a
      naked shift, I have to stop and remember the context. One more thing to
      worry about while reading a program.

      --

      Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
      --- Shawn

      "Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
      SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_

      * A searchable perldoc is available at http://perldoc.perl.org/
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006

        Shawn> The key phrase being "in that context". My issue is that the default
        Shawn> depends on the context. If it was the same throughout the regardless of
        Shawn> context, I wouldn't have a problem. The problem is that when I see a
        Shawn> naked shift, I have to stop and remember the context. One more thing to
        Shawn> worry about while reading a program.

        That's why I said "10 line program". If this were a 200 line program,
        I wouldn't bury "shift" in the middle, unless it was within 10 lines
        of the start of a subroutine.

        I believe it is reasonable to ask a programmer to look back about
        ten lines to figure out the general flow of the program. I don't
        think it's reasonable to have to maintain "state" further than that,
        which is why I argue for 10-20 line subroutines instead of most of
        the monoliths that I see most people write.

      • Shawn Corey
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
          Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
          > I believe it is reasonable to ask a programmer to look back about
          > ten lines to figure out the general flow of the program. I don't
          > think it's reasonable to have to maintain "state" further than that,
          > which is why I argue for 10-20 line subroutines instead of most of
          > the monoliths that I see most people write.

          Large monoliths have given me the willies ever since "2001: A Space
          Odyssey" came out ;)

          --

          Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
          --- Shawn

          "Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
          SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_

          * A searchable perldoc is available at http://perldoc.perl.org/
        • mail meda
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
            Hi Frnds,