RE: [PBML] Computing free and used space in Windows

  • Ashish Gupta
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi KalyanRaj,
      Thanks for the prompt reply. I am sorry I missed to mention that I am runnig this script on a network. Anyways this idea worked on the network also. But still this is slow.
      When I run `dir /s /a` it still takes a long time. I think there should be better way to find the total capcity and free space of a drive.
      It would be great if you or someone else from the group could give some pointer.

      Regards
      Ashish.

      KalyanRaj <kalyanrajs@...> wrote:
      hi Ashish,

      the following script will give free space in c: and d: drives ( because my
      pc has two drives )

      foreach $drive ('c:','d:') {
      @lastline=`dir $drive`;
      print $lastline[$#lastline];
      }

      Hope this helps you....

      Regards,
      KalyanRaj
      thanks for your reply. Sorry I was not clear in my fairst mail. Actually I want to run this script on a network to compute size of disk of many servers.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
        Dear Ashish
        you can using snmp to monitor Disk usage of server and workstations
        using Net::SNMP Module and you need to install/enable SNMP service on machines
        anyway you can using snmputil.exe from windows Resource kit too to get snmp values from snmp service
        read this link
        http://www.loriotpro.com/ServiceAndSupport/How_to/How_to_Control_DiskSpace_Usage.php
        and find snmputil from here
        http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm
        Regards

        Ashish Gupta <ashish_gupta_cal@...> wrote: Hi KalyanRaj,

        ---------------------------------

        Basic programming language C programming language Computer programming languages The c programming language C programming language List of programming languages

        ---------------------------------

      • Jenda Krynicky
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
          From: Ashish Gupta <ashish_gupta_cal@...>
          > Hi,
          > I am writing a Perl script for capacity planning for Windows. I
          > am supposed to find free space and used space for C drive. I
          > tried using File:Find and also wrote my own recursive method for
          > finding total size of the c: drive. But it takes a long time to
          > compute. Is there any quick way to compute the total and free
          > size of C drive?
          > It would be very helpful if someone could give any pointer in
          > this regards.
          >
          > Thanks for attention
          > Ashish

          use Win32::FileOp qw(GetDiskFreeSpace);

          $freeSpaceForUser = GetDiskFreeSpace 'C:';
          # or
          ($freeSpaceForUser,$totalSize,$totalFreeSpace)=GetDiskFreeSpace 'C:';

          You can get Win32::FileOp from CPAN or via PPM.

          Jenda
          -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery