RE: [PBML] To retrieve selected text data from a webpage using perl script

  • RAJESH PETHE
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
      Use the LWP Library from CPAN and use it to create a user agent. You can
      retrieve the page and use regex to find the text that you are interested
      in.
      Thanks
      Rajesh

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
        Thanks Rajesh,
        As iam very new user of PERL. If you give me an example for the same
        it would be more useful.

        Also,How to script, to search for keyword in webpage.eg say "contact
        us" in a web page.

        how to retrieve text from webpage using x and y coordinates

        Thanks and Regards,

        Jayadev SM

        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "RAJESH PETHE" <rpethe@m...>
        wrote:

        > Use the LWP Library from CPAN and use it to create a user agent.
        You can
        > retrieve the page and use regex to find the text that you are
        interested
        > in.
        > Thanks
        > Rajesh

      • JC
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
          Google search "perl filetype:pl lwp"

          will provide you samples

          Best,

          JC

          --- jaya_devsm <jaya_devsm@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Rajesh,
          > As iam very new user of PERL. If you give me an
          > example for the same
          > it would be more useful.
          >
          > Also,How to script, to search for keyword in
          > webpage.eg say "contact
          > us" in a web page.
          >
          > how to retrieve text from webpage using x and y
          > coordinates
          >
          > Thanks and Regards,
          >
          > Jayadev SM
          >

          > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "RAJESH PETHE"
          > <rpethe@m...>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > Use the LWP Library from CPAN and use it to create
          > a user agent.
          > You can
          > > retrieve the page and use regex to find the text
          > that you are
          > interested
          > > in.
          > > Thanks
          > > Rajesh

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • Dave Gray
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
            On 1/4/06, jaya_devsm <jaya_devsm@...> wrote:
            > Also,How to script, to search for keyword in webpage.eg say "contact
            > us" in a web page.
            >
            > how to retrieve text from webpage using x and y coordinates

            In order to get text at certain (x,y) coordinates, you would have to
            write a web browser, or do some other very tricky magic which I don't
            have time to do right now. Besides, it's not portable between browsers
            or operating systems.

            If you don't care about the actual HTML, just the text displayed on
            the page, and you happen to be running on a system that has lynx
            available (and the page renders semi-correctly in lynx), you can do:
            my $url = 'http://www.google.com/';
            my $content = `lynx -dump -nolist $url`;
            # text content of the page is in $content

            Otherwise, use LWP:
            <http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.805/lib/LWP/Simple.pm>
            use LWP::Simple;
            my $content = get("http://www.sn.no/");
            die "Couldn't get it!" unless defined $content;
            # html content of the page is in $content

            Finally, if you care about the structure of the HTML, use
            HTML::Parser, not regular expressions to parse the file.
            <http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/HTML-Parser-3.48/Parser.pm>

            Post some code to let us see what you tried.
          • Som Bhowmik
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
              Hi,
              I am doing a project on Perl.
              I am trying to make it efficient.
              Is it possible to set focus in a textfield on page load in perl?
              lease reply...

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
                hi,

                It is possible to set focus for a textfield on your webpage.

                If you're using Perl-CGI,JavaScript in your project, you can write your own
                code...

                like window.load = ur own code to set focus

                request you to be more specific of what you want to do , languages included
                in the project so that forums members will respond fastly.

                Regards,
                KalyanRaj