RE: [PBML] Variable Interpolation

  • KalyanRaj
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
      hi all,

      guide me if i'm wrong.

      I slightly modified the code

      #!/usr/bin/perl
      sub reference {
      $type = shift;
      $f_group='PBML';
      $f_lang='perl';
      $f_os='linux';
      $ref = "f_$type";
      }
      reference(perlgroup);
      print $ref;

      $ref will contain the value of $type which is given at run-time. as you
      mentioned $type = shift , I assumed a subroutine and passed value of $type
      from the subroutine "reference". when we run the program $ref will have
      f_perlgroup, where the value of $type will be substituted in $ref.

      we need to be very careful with variable interpolation with single and
      double quotes.

      when we print $ref with single quotes , value of $type will not be
      substituted. Variable interpolation will takes place only if we have double
      quotes.

      hope this has helped you ... if i assumed anything wrong guide me further.

      thanks,
      KalyanRaj

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
        Hi Raj,

        The code you gave just returns the name of the variable and not the value in
        it.
        Your code with call 'reference(group) gave 'f_group' and not its value
        'PBML'.
        Any idea ?

        Thanks for your efforts.

        Expecting more response..

        Bye

        On 1/2/06, KalyanRaj <kalyanrajs@...> wrote:

        > hi all,
        >
        > guide me if i'm wrong.
        >
        > I slightly modified the code
        >
        > #!/usr/bin/perl
        > sub reference {
        > $type = shift;
        > $f_group='PBML';
        > $f_lang='perl';
        > $f_os='linux';
        > $ref = "f_$type";
        > }
        > reference(perlgroup);
        > print $ref;
        >
        > $ref will contain the value of $type which is given at run-time. as you
        > mentioned $type = shift , I assumed a subroutine and passed value of $type
        > from the subroutine "reference". when we run the program $ref will have
        > f_perlgroup, where the value of $type will be substituted in $ref.
        >
        > we need to be very careful with variable interpolation with single and
        > double quotes.
        >
        > when we print $ref with single quotes , value of $type will not be
        > substituted. Variable interpolation will takes place only if we have
        > double
        > quotes.
        >
        > hope this has helped you ... if i assumed anything wrong guide me further.
        >
        > thanks,
        > KalyanRaj

      • KalyanRaj
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
          hi ,

          when we call subroutine ' reference(group) ', output will be f_group which
          is not a scalar.
          $f_group and f_group have different meaning in Perl.

          Let me know what exactly you want to do ...

          Regards,
          KalyanRaj

          The code you gave just returns the name of the variable and not the value in
          it.
          Your code with call 'reference(group) gave 'f_group' and not its value
          'PBML'.
          Any idea ?

          Thanks for your efforts.

          Expecting more response..

          Bye

          On 1/2/06, KalyanRaj <kalyanrajs@...> wrote:

          > hi all,
          >
          > guide me if i'm wrong.
          >
          > I slightly modified the code
          >
          > #!/usr/bin/perl
          > sub reference {
          > $type = shift;
          > $f_group='PBML';
          > $f_lang='perl';
          > $f_os='linux';
          > $ref = "f_$type";
          > }
          > reference(perlgroup);
          > print $ref;
          >
          > $ref will contain the value of $type which is given at run-time. as you
          > mentioned $type = shift , I assumed a subroutine and passed value of $type
          > from the subroutine "reference". when we run the program $ref will have
          > f_perlgroup, where the value of $type will be substituted in $ref.
          >
          > we need to be very careful with variable interpolation with single and
          > double quotes.
          >
          > when we print $ref with single quotes , value of $type will not be
          > substituted. Variable interpolation will takes place only if we have
          > double
          > quotes.
          >
          > hope this has helped you ... if i assumed anything wrong guide me further.
          >
          > thanks,
          > KalyanRaj

          Unsubscribing info is here:
          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006

            mail> Hi Friends,
            mail> Can you please let me know how to get the content of a " value of the
            mail> variable ".
            mail> For Eg:

            mail> my $type = shift;
            mail> my $f_group='PBML';
            mail> my $f_lang='perl';
            mail> my $f_os='linux';
            mail> my $ref = "f_$type";

            In Perl, the way to do this is to put the elements in a hash:

            my %mapping = (group => 'PBML', lang => 'perl', os => 'linux');
            my $type = shift;
            my $result = $mapping{$type};

          • KalyanRaj
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
              hi ,

              as mentioned by Randal, we can put elements in a hash...
              "shift" is a keyword in Perl which gives out first element in an array...I
              wonder is there anyother use of "shift"
              when i'm executing the code given by Randal, nothing is printed out....

              MailMeda --- the below code print out PBML which is what you wanted. Also
              checkout the scope of the variables. if we place the statement
              print $result outside reference subroutine, it wont print anything.

              my %mapping = (group => 'PBML', lang => 'perl', os => 'linux');
              reference(group);
              sub reference {
              my $type = shift;
              my $result = $mapping{$type};
              print $result;
              }

              Regards,
              KalyanRaj

              mail> Can you please let me know how to get the content of a " value of the
              mail> variable ".
              mail> For Eg:

              mail> my $type = shift;
              mail> my $f_group='PBML';
              mail> my $f_lang='perl';
              mail> my $f_os='linux';
              mail> my $ref = "f_$type";

              In Perl, the way to do this is to put the elements in a hash:

              my %mapping = (group => 'PBML', lang => 'perl', os => 'linux');
              my $type = shift;
              my $result = $mapping{$type};

              See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl
              training!

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Shawn Corey
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                KalyanRaj wrote:
                > as mentioned by Randal, we can put elements in a hash...
                > "shift" is a keyword in Perl which gives out first element in an array...I
                > wonder is there anyother use of "shift"
                > when i'm executing the code given by Randal, nothing is printed out....
                >
                > MailMeda --- the below code print out PBML which is what you wanted. Also
                > checkout the scope of the variables. if we place the statement
                > print $result outside reference subroutine, it wont print anything.
                >
                > my %mapping = (group => 'PBML', lang => 'perl', os => 'linux');
                > reference(group);
                > sub reference {
                > my $type = shift;
                > my $result = $mapping{$type};
                > print $result;
                > }

                You should always use an argument for shift. In this case, shift works
                on @_ since it is inside a subroutine. Outside any subroutine, shift
                works on @ARGV. To avoid confusion, always supply it with an argument.

                my $type = shift @_;

                --

                Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                --- Shawn

                "Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
                SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_

                * A searchable perldoc is available at http://perldoc.perl.org/
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006

                  Shawn> You should always use an argument for shift.

                  That's a bit strong. It's accepted to leave the argument off shift
                  when it's being used in a sane way. I presumed the original poster
                  knew what he was doing, and didn't comment on that.

                • Shawn Corey
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

                    > Shawn> You should always use an argument for shift.
                    >
                    > That's a bit strong. It's accepted to leave the argument off shift
                    > when it's being used in a sane way. I presumed the original poster
                    > knew what he was doing, and didn't comment on that.

                    Yes, it's strong but all good discipline seems strong until you reap the
                    benefits from it. I don't think it's sane for the implied behaviour of
                    any construct to change. What it means is that when I'm reading a
                    program, I have one more thing to keep track of. Anything that reduces
                    this overhead is worth the effort.

                    Always write your programs as though you aren't going to see them again
                    for 25 years and then have to make a critical change immediately.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Hi,

                      Mail Meda - the following code will give you what you want....PBML.
                      another version of code which uses hash and return
                      sub reference {
                      $type = shift;
                      %types = (
                      group => "PBML",
                      lang => "Perl",
                      os => "Linux"
                      );
                      return $types{$type};
                      }
                      $result = reference("group");
                      print "$result\n";

                      Cheers,
                      KalyanRaj

                      > Shawn> You should always use an argument for shift.
                      >
                      > That's a bit strong. It's accepted to leave the argument off shift
                      > when it's being used in a sane way. I presumed the original poster
                      > knew what he was doing, and didn't comment on that.

                      Yes, it's strong but all good discipline seems strong until you reap the
                      benefits from it. I don't think it's sane for the implied behaviour of
                      any construct to change. What it means is that when I'm reading a
                      program, I have one more thing to keep track of. Anything that reduces
                      this overhead is worth the effort.

                      Always write your programs as though you aren't going to see them again
                      for 25 years and then have to make a critical change immediately.

                      --

                      Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                      --- Shawn

                      "Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
                      SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_

                      * A searchable perldoc is available at http://perldoc.perl.org/

                      Unsubscribing info is here:
                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Jenda Krynicky
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                        From: Shawn Corey <shawn.corey@...>

                        > > Shawn> You should always use an argument for shift.
                        > >
                        > > That's a bit strong. It's accepted to leave the argument off shift
                        > > when it's being used in a sane way. I presumed the original poster
                        > > knew what he was doing, and didn't comment on that.
                        > >

                        > Yes, it's strong but all good discipline seems strong until you reap
                        > the benefits from it. I don't think it's sane for the implied
                        > behaviour of any construct to change. What it means is that when I'm
                        > reading a program, I have one more thing to keep track of. Anything
                        > that reduces this overhead is worth the effort.
                        >
                        > Always write your programs as though you aren't going to see them
                        > again for 25 years and then have to make a critical change
                        > immediately.

                        I would be a bit surprised if anyone wrote:

                        sub foo {
                        my $bar = shift(@_);

                        and would wonder why. In this case it's a generally accepted that the
                        @_ gets omited. OTOH, I'd never make use of the fact that outside
                        subroutines shift() means shift(@ARGV). That's something lots of
                        people doesn't remember and something that might break easily if I
                        tried to move the piece of code into a subroutine.

                        Jenda
                        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006

                          Jenda> I would be a bit surprised if anyone wrote:

                          Jenda> sub foo {
                          Jenda> my $bar = shift(@_);

                          Jenda> and would wonder why. In this case it's a generally accepted that the
                          Jenda> @_ gets omited. OTOH, I'd never make use of the fact that outside
                          Jenda> subroutines shift() means shift(@ARGV). That's something lots of
                          Jenda> people doesn't remember and something that might break easily if I
                          Jenda> tried to move the piece of code into a subroutine.

                          I agree with you there. However, for a five line program:

                          #!/usr/bin/perl
                          my $from = shift;
                          my $to = shift;
                          if (-e $to) { rename $to, "$to~" or warn "cannot backup $to: $!"; }
                          rename $from, $to or warn "Cannot rename $from to $to: $!";

                          Will anyone really not know what "shift" is doing there? Or confuse
                          it with shift(@_)?

                          That's the point of defaults... they're the defaults because they're
                          the most common thing you would do with that operator *in that context*.

                        • Shawn Corey
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                            merlyn@... wrote:
                            > That's the point of defaults... they're the defaults because they're
                            > the most common thing you would do with that operator *in that context*.

                            The key phrase being "in that context". My issue is that the default
                            depends on the context. If it was the same throughout the regardless of
                            context, I wouldn't have a problem. The problem is that when I see a
                            naked shift, I have to stop and remember the context. One more thing to
                            worry about while reading a program.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006

                              Shawn> The key phrase being "in that context". My issue is that the default
                              Shawn> depends on the context. If it was the same throughout the regardless of
                              Shawn> context, I wouldn't have a problem. The problem is that when I see a
                              Shawn> naked shift, I have to stop and remember the context. One more thing to
                              Shawn> worry about while reading a program.

                              That's why I said "10 line program". If this were a 200 line program,
                              I wouldn't bury "shift" in the middle, unless it was within 10 lines
                              of the start of a subroutine.

                              I believe it is reasonable to ask a programmer to look back about
                              ten lines to figure out the general flow of the program. I don't
                              think it's reasonable to have to maintain "state" further than that,
                              which is why I argue for 10-20 line subroutines instead of most of
                              the monoliths that I see most people write.

                            • Shawn Corey
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                                Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
                                > I believe it is reasonable to ask a programmer to look back about
                                > ten lines to figure out the general flow of the program. I don't
                                > think it's reasonable to have to maintain "state" further than that,
                                > which is why I argue for 10-20 line subroutines instead of most of
                                > the monoliths that I see most people write.

                                Large monoliths have given me the willies ever since "2001: A Space
                                Odyssey" came out ;)

                                --

                                Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                                --- Shawn

                                "Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
                                SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_

                                * A searchable perldoc is available at http://perldoc.perl.org/
                              • mail meda
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                                  Hi Frnds,