Data Access, Displaying Data, HTML Templates

  • Demian Lessa
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2005
      Hi *,

      I'm searching for Perl modules to put my web application architecture in
      place. This is what I'm trying to do:

      1) To have database entities mapped to objects so they can be
      easily dealt with in an OO manner.

      2) Be able to retrieve objects so that they can be displayed
      in a tabular form, N objects per page; further, I need to
      be able to navigate between pages of objects. The analogy
      here would be the folders in a web mail application (you
      see only X message summaries per page, and when you click
      on message field, the application takes you to another
      page with the full message details).

      3) Use a HTML templating scheme to put all that to work with
      minimal coding.

      For (1) I'm using Class::DBI and I'm pretty sure it is the right choice
      for me. I'm not sure if DBIx::Class would be a better choice (it seems
      abandoned).

      For (2) I'm looking at several modules for paginantion, but I haven't
      yet figured which one to use- Data::Page, Data::SpreadPagination,
      Class::DBI::Plugin::Pager, and related modules. I'd prefer if the module
      took care of not only the paging, but of retrieving only the appropriate
      amount of data from the server, instead of paging *after* retrieving the
      data to memory. It would be nice if the data page contained Class::DBI
      objects, since I'm working with them already.

      Finally, for (3) I still haven't found an adequate module to deal with
      the HTML templating for the tabular display of each page of objects.

      Does anyone have any suggestion on anything I mentioned here? It can be
      on anything- architecture, solutions for (1), (2), or (3), and even tips
      on how to better integrate these tasks. Any help will be appreciated.

      Thanks in advance,

      Demian