RE: [PBML] Fw: Re: Welcome to perl-beginner

  • Smith, Sheldon
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2001
      One excellent teacher/author is a gentleman named Randal Schwartz. His
      O'Reilly Publishing book "Learning Perl" (with the llama on the cover, *not*
      the camel) is a *wonderful* place to start learning. Chapter One has a
      rather friendly "Stroll through Perl" showing some of the basic things it
      can do. I used that book as my main reference for a year before I started
      getting other O'Reilly Perl books. Mr. Schwartz can even be found on some
      of the other Perl mailing lists, including the "Fun With Perl" list.
      Note: The "llama" Learning Perl book is mainly for Unix systems. Its twin,
      "Learning Perl on Win32 Systems" would be a better chice if you are running
      on Windows. Instead of the llama, it has a wall gecko on the cover.
      However: Perl is Perl.

      According to the Perl FAQ,
      "A number of books on Perl and/or CGI programming are available. A few of
      these are good, some are OK, but many aren't worth your money. Tom
      Christiansen maintains a list of these books, some with extensive reviews,
      at <http://www.perl.com/perl/critiques/index.html.>"
      "The incontestably definitive reference book on Perl, written by the creator
      of Perl, is now in its second edition:
      Programming Perl (the "Camel Book"):
      by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen, and Randal Schwartz
      ISBN 1-56592-149-6 (English)
      ISBN 4-89052-384-7 (Japanese)
      (French, German, Italian, and Hungarian translations also available)

      Another gentleman, Andrew Johnson, has a weekly Perl e-newsletter "Published
      by ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
      http://www.itworld.com/newsletters". Archives of past "issues" can be found
      at http://members.home.net/andrew-johnson/. Look for "Perl Pages", then
      "Archive of my Perl articles for ITworld.com". Mr. Johnson can frequently be
      found in the PBML (Perl Beginners) mailing list.

      In addition, some time back, someone wrote "...check out www.free-ed.net and
      www.informit.com. They both have books you can print out for free and
      tutorials...."

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2001
        On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:07:51 -0600
        "Smith, Sheldon" <sheldon.smith@...> wrote:

        > One excellent teacher/author is a gentleman named Randal Schwartz. His
        > O'Reilly Publishing book "Learning Perl" (with the llama on the cover,
        > *not*
        > the camel) is a *wonderful* place to start learning. Chapter One has a
        > rather friendly "Stroll through Perl" showing some of the basic things
        > it
        > can do. I used that book as my main reference for a year before I
        > started
        > getting other O'Reilly Perl books. Mr. Schwartz can even be found on
        > some
        > of the other Perl mailing lists, including the "Fun With Perl" list.

        Randal Schwartz also is very active on the perlmonks.org website under the
        name Merlyn. His node is at:

        The guy is brilliant, far more of a perl hacker than I unfortunately will
        ever be.

        Greg

        --
        | | | GREG WEBSTER - greg@... | | | |