Re: [PBML] module installation question

  • Shawn Corey
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
      Stephanie Mewborn wrote:
      > Perhaps I'm not understanding something here. I'm working on a
      > computer for which I am the only user, trying to install locally. I've
      > installed several other modules successfully in this manner. As the
      > only user for this computer, I have admin privileges. I am a
      > scientist, and I have a rudimentary background in Unix, and experience
      > using a few Perl scripts, but have apparently been lucky up until now
      > in getting those to work.
      >
      > Stephanie

      On the Mac you are a regular user with superuser privileges. To invoke
      them, type:

      sudo make install

      It will ask you for your password. This also gets around any permissions
      problem.

      --

      Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
      --- Shawn

      "Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
      SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_
    • Stephanie Mewborn
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
        Excellent! That did it. Thank you very much. I am much more at home
        on a PC, but alas Mac is what we tend to use in the lab. I knew if it
        would only ask, I had that password. Sorry to bother with such an easy
        question.

        Stephanie

        On Nov 1, 2005, at 6:28 AM, Shawn Corey wrote:

        > Stephanie Mewborn wrote:
        > > Perhaps I'm not understanding something here.  I'm working on a
        > > computer for which I am the only user, trying to install locally.
        > I've
        > > installed several other modules successfully in this manner.  As the
        > > only user for this computer, I have admin privileges.  I am a
        > > scientist, and I have a rudimentary background in Unix, and
        > experience
        > > using a few Perl scripts, but have apparently been lucky up until
        > now
        > > in getting those to work.
        > >
        > > Stephanie
        >
        > On the Mac you are a regular user with superuser privileges. To invoke
        > them, type:
        >
        >    sudo make install
        >
        > It will ask you for your password. This also gets around any
        > permissions
        > problem.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        >     --- Shawn
        >
        > "Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
        >     SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_
        >

        > Unsubscribing info is here:

        > Basic programming language
        > Computer programming languages
        > The c programming language
        > List of programming languages
        > Software programming language
        > History of c programming language
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > ▪  Visit your group "perl-beginner" on the web.

        > Service.

        Stephanie K. Mewborn, Ph.D.
        Post-Doctoral Fellow
        University of Chicago
        Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology
        Phone: 773-702-2684
        Fax: 773-702-2681
      • raghav bhat
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2005
          Hi,
          I have a user logon web screen in which, optionally a user can logon with the help of an ID and a password. Presently I have to
          make the logon mandatory and as the present web page is in a remote server, I have to do an external layer by which I have to
          take ID and password and pass it on to the webpage and validate. The web screen will change into another screen if ID and
          passwords are OK and will remain the same if any one is wrong. So, I can validate the password and ID, based on the changes
          in address bar. I dont know if I can get the data in the address bar of an HTML document using perl?
          Can you give me some tips to find out the related topics.

          similarly for creating a top level layer, I used the code like
          $main = MainWindow -> new();
          ---------
          -------
          MainLoop;

          but I want to block the minimizing option. Is it possible?

          thanks in advance,
          Raghavendra M.