Re: Re[2]: [PBML] module installation question

  • Donato Azevedo
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2005
      On 10/31/05, Stephanie Mewborn <skmewbor@...> wrote:
      > Perhaps I'm not understanding something here. I'm working on a
      > computer for which I am the only user, trying to install locally. I've
      > installed several other modules successfully in this manner. As the
      > only user for this computer, I have admin privileges. I am a
      > scientist, and I have a rudimentary background in Unix, and experience

      Being the only user doesn't necessarily mean having admin privileges
      (I, for one, am the only user of my home pc and yet I use a regular
      user account most of the time)

      > using a few Perl scripts, but have apparently been lucky up until now
      > in getting those to work.

      Dont give up! Have you tried installing the module somewhere else?
      since you are the only user it shant be as bad as:

      > On Oct 31, 2005, at 5:50 PM, Mike Dillinger wrote:
      > > However, if you do this, other users will have difficulty
      > > accessing the module. You will also have to add a line "use lib
      > > <PathToModule>" in every Perl script that calls this module.

      Donato Azevedo - UFMG
      Engenharia de Controle e Automação
      Slackware user #390325
    • Shawn Corey
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
        Stephanie Mewborn wrote:
        > Perhaps I'm not understanding something here. I'm working on a
        > computer for which I am the only user, trying to install locally. I've
        > installed several other modules successfully in this manner. As the
        > only user for this computer, I have admin privileges. I am a
        > scientist, and I have a rudimentary background in Unix, and experience
        > using a few Perl scripts, but have apparently been lucky up until now
        > in getting those to work.
        >
        > Stephanie

        On the Mac you are a regular user with superuser privileges. To invoke
        them, type:

        sudo make install

        It will ask you for your password. This also gets around any permissions
        problem.

        --

        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        --- Shawn

        "Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
        SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_
      • Stephanie Mewborn
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
          Excellent! That did it. Thank you very much. I am much more at home
          on a PC, but alas Mac is what we tend to use in the lab. I knew if it
          would only ask, I had that password. Sorry to bother with such an easy
          question.

          Stephanie

          On Nov 1, 2005, at 6:28 AM, Shawn Corey wrote:

          > Stephanie Mewborn wrote:
          > > Perhaps I'm not understanding something here.  I'm working on a
          > > computer for which I am the only user, trying to install locally.
          > I've
          > > installed several other modules successfully in this manner.  As the
          > > only user for this computer, I have admin privileges.  I am a
          > > scientist, and I have a rudimentary background in Unix, and
          > experience
          > > using a few Perl scripts, but have apparently been lucky up until
          > now
          > > in getting those to work.
          > >
          > > Stephanie
          >
          > On the Mac you are a regular user with superuser privileges. To invoke
          > them, type:
          >
          >    sudo make install
          >
          > It will ask you for your password. This also gets around any
          > permissions
          > problem.
          >
          > --
          >
          > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
          >     --- Shawn
          >
          > "Probability is now one. Any problems that are left are your own."
          >     SS Heart of Gold, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_
          >

          > Unsubscribing info is here:

          > Basic programming language
          > Computer programming languages
          > The c programming language
          > List of programming languages
          > Software programming language
          > History of c programming language
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > ▪  Visit your group "perl-beginner" on the web.

          > Service.

          Stephanie K. Mewborn, Ph.D.
          Post-Doctoral Fellow
          University of Chicago
          Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology
          Phone: 773-702-2684
          Fax: 773-702-2681
        • raghav bhat
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2005
            Hi,
            I have a user logon web screen in which, optionally a user can logon with the help of an ID and a password. Presently I have to
            make the logon mandatory and as the present web page is in a remote server, I have to do an external layer by which I have to
            take ID and password and pass it on to the webpage and validate. The web screen will change into another screen if ID and
            passwords are OK and will remain the same if any one is wrong. So, I can validate the password and ID, based on the changes
            in address bar. I dont know if I can get the data in the address bar of an HTML document using perl?
            Can you give me some tips to find out the related topics.

            similarly for creating a top level layer, I used the code like
            $main = MainWindow -> new();
            ---------
            -------
            MainLoop;

            but I want to block the minimizing option. Is it possible?

            thanks in advance,
            Raghavendra M.