Re: [PBML] Newbie

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 26, 2005
      >>>>> "love" == love four paws <love_four_paws@...> writes:

      love> Hi, my name is shelly and I'm a newbie. I know a lot of HTML, a little
      love> PHP but am still foggy on Perl and MySQL. I'm searching for a group
      love> that can help me with those areas. I want to make a classifieds
      love> website where people can join a membership, pay for and then place an
      love> ad all in real time without my having to be there the whole time to
      love> hold their hand; if you know what I mean.

      Start with the resources at http://learn.perl.org/.

      love> If anyone can help, let me know. I'll return later today.

      "today" is meaningless on the net. People of all timezones are
      reading this list.

    • love_four_paws
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 26, 2005
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, merlyn@s... wrote:

        > love> Hi, my name is shelly and I'm a newbie. I know a lot of
        HTML, a little
        > love> PHP but am still foggy on Perl and MySQL. I'm searching for
        a group
        > love> that can help me with those areas. I want to make a
        classifieds
        > love> website where people can join a membership, pay for and then
        place an
        > love> ad all in real time without my having to be there the whole
        time to
        > love> hold their hand; if you know what I mean.
        >
        > Start with the resources at http://learn.perl.org/.
        >
        > love> If anyone can help, let me know. I'll return later today.
        >
        > "today" is meaningless on the net. People of all timezones are
        > reading this list.

        777 0095
        > <merlyn@s...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
        > See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment
        Perl training!

        Okay, so I don't have time or money to go rootin' around the net
        buying books that may or may not help me. I bought a Java book once--
        the cover and description claimed that lessons were in plain english
        and it was easy. Yea, it was all as clear as mud. There are SOOO
        many HTML tutorials on the net (FREE) so why are there no PERL
        tutorials on the net FREE? I thought that was what this group was
        about. I came to the group for assistance, not to be pointed
        elsewhere- a dead end I might add.

        If ANYONE can help, I'm using Yahoo Small business. So everything is
        active, but the easiest route to do what I want is to buy FrontPage
        and I don't have $200 to spend on that. So I'm looking for any
        tutorials from anyone (FREE) who can help.
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 26, 2005

          love> Okay, so I don't have time or money to go rootin' around the net
          love> buying books that may or may not help me. I bought a Java book
          love> once-- the cover and description claimed that lessons were in
          love> plain english and it was easy. Yea, it was all as clear as
          love> mud. There are SOOO many HTML tutorials on the net (FREE) so why
          love> are there no PERL tutorials on the net FREE? I thought that was
          love> what this group was about. I came to the group for assistance,
          love> not to be pointed elsewhere- a dead end I might add.

          Did you even *look* at learn.perl.org? Plenty of "free book pointers",
          "free tutorials", and Perl itself comes with a lot of tutorial material.

          (Aside: Geez. Try to help, and they piss on you. No wonder we get uppity.)

          Also, it's never "PERL". It's "Perl" (the language) or "perl" (the binary
          that runs your scripts). Never "PERL".

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 26, 2005

            merlyn> Did you even *look* at learn.perl.org? Plenty of "free book
            merlyn> pointers", "free tutorials", and Perl itself comes with a lot
            merlyn> of tutorial material.

            And thinking that through again, if you either:
            (a) neither looked, nor
            (b) looked, but missed the link:

            Announcing the learn.perl.org Online Library where you can read
            your favorite perl books.

            then you aren't worth helping, because educating you would be like teaching
            a pig to sing.

          • Mike Southern
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 26, 2005
              Actually you can teach pigs to sing, they'll just never get to Covent Garden
              except as a meal.