Perl Time out

  • Gilles Beauregard
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
      Allo!

      I have numerous "Premature end of script headers:"
      for perl script.

      Usually, I don't have problem with the same script, but
      sometime, the script abort before the end, and return an error 500.

      I have this problem for about a month now, and only on 1 domain.

      Other script on the same server, but under different domain don't
      give any problem.

      Any help to resolve this problem is appreciate.

      Gilles B.

      ---
      Webmasters helping webmasters
      http://www.balour.org/
    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
        5:21pm, Gilles Beauregard wrote:

        > Allo!
        >
        > I have numerous "Premature end of script headers:"
        > for perl script.
        >
        > Usually, I don't have problem with the same script, but
        > sometime, the script abort before the end, and return an error 500.
        >
        > I have this problem for about a month now, and only on 1 domain.
        >
        > Other script on the same server, but under different domain don't
        > give any problem.
        >
        > Any help to resolve this problem is appreciate.
        >
        > Gilles B.

        What does this script do?

        Does it connect to a database?

        Is the database different (different version? larger?) on this domain?

        What's the code look like?

        Is there any pattern to what conditions might be triggering the problem?

        What changed a month ago?

        Put yourself in our shoes: if you were asked to diagnose a problem with only
        the information you provided (a script doesn't work sometime, but only on
        one machine), could you provide any helpful information?

        Paul Archer
      • Gilles Beauregard
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          Allo!

          > > I have numerous "Premature end of script headers:"
          > > for perl script.
          > >
          > > Usually, I don't have problem with the same script, but
          > > sometime, the script abort before the end, and return an error 500.
          > >
          > > I have this problem for about a month now, and only on 1 domain.
          > >
          > > Other script on the same server, but under different domain don't
          > > give any problem.
          > >
          > > Any help to resolve this problem is appreciate.
          > >
          > > Gilles B.
          >
          >What does this script do?

          One of the script is a simple meter working with plain ascii files.
          The file a relatively small, under 10k.

          Other script are working with bigger ascii file, under 1,000k.

          >Does it connect to a database?

          No.

          >Is the database different (different version? larger?) on this domain?

          The file are located on a differetn directory fo the site. private.

          >What's the code look like?

          A very simple, but old fashion script.

          >Is there any pattern to what conditions might be triggering the problem?

          Sometime, most of the time the same script work fine, but sometime the script
          abort.

          >What changed a month ago?

          Nothing on my site. Maybe, server was updated.

          >Put yourself in our shoes: if you were asked to diagnose a problem with only
          >the information you provided (a script doesn't work sometime, but only on
          >one machine), could you provide any helpful information?

          I understand your point of view.

          Gilles B.

          ---
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
            Allo!

            I received the following mesage from the support:

            The resource limits are the the following:

            RLimitMEM 157286400 157286400
            RLimitCPU 60 60

            The server seem to be to busy, because, my site are not very busy.

            Gilles B.

            ---
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005

              Gilles> Allo!
              Gilles> I have numerous "Premature end of script headers:"
              Gilles> for perl script.

              Gilles> Usually, I don't have problem with the same script, but
              Gilles> sometime, the script abort before the end, and return an error 500.

              What does the error log say?

              If the error log says only "Premature end of headers",
              use this in your program and retry:

              BEGIN { print "content-type: text/html\n\n" }

              Put it near the top. It will add an *extra* header very early
              so that you can be sure the server and browser are happy.

              Of course, this duplicates the header that will come out later from
              your code, so remove it when your debugging is finished.

            • Gilles Beauregard
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
                Allo!

                >Gilles> Allo!
                >Gilles> I have numerous "Premature end of script headers:"
                >Gilles> for perl script.

                It's seem to be a problem with the ressource available at the server.
                The support send the following:

                > RLimitMEM 157286400 157286400
                > RLimitCPU 60 60

                Is this limit is at the site, ID or server level?

                Because I have the same set of scripts install under the same
                reseller account, but
                for different domain, and I don't received any error 500 for the others site.

                The support tell me to upgraded to a better more expensive package to
                cure the problem.

                Gilles B.

                ---