Re: Prima or other GUI toolkit (suggestions wanted)

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2005
      I posted this a few days ago, but got no response. Let me ask a simpler
      question: has anyone used Prima, and can you give me your impressions?

      Thanks,

      Paul

      Sunday, Paul Archer wrote:

      > I've decided to take my first real foray into building a graphical app (an
      > image viewer/cataloger). But I'm fairly bewildered by all the choices out
      > there for graphical toolkits under Perl. Some are better established, or have
      > better documentation, or seem to have nice features--but it's hard to get a
      > handle on what would be best without spending a lot of time trying out each
      > one. (I barely have time to work on this project as it is.)
      >
      > I know there are certain criteria that are important to me.
      > Probably most important is good documentation. WxPerl, for example, has docs
      > that mostly say something to the effect of, "figure it out from the base
      > Wxwidgets docs."
      > Ease of use would be nice, but good docs will help there.
      > Good performance in dealing with images is pretty important, since I want to
      > build an image viewer (for 6-8 megapixel images).
      > Something that is either being actively developed, or stable is relatively
      > important, as fighting bugs while learning a new system doesn't sound like
      > much fun.
      > Finally, cross-platform (ie. develop on Linux, run/port on Windows & Mac) is
      > a must, since if it gets good enough that I'm not embarrassed to let others
      > see it, I'd like to make sure it is usable regardless of platform. Luckily, I
      > know that's one criterion that seems to be met by pretty much everything out
      > there.
      >
      > Right now, I'm leaning towards Prima (http://www.prima.eu.org), as it is
      > written specifically for Perl, seems to have good (or at least copious)
      > documentation, and was written with the goal of doing 2D image processing.
      > But I hadn't even heard of it till I really started searching, and I haven't
      > found any evaluations of it (performance, reliability, or anything).
      >
      > So, any suggestions?
      >

      > ------------------------------
      > Woe upon your Cylon heart
      > There's a toaster in your head
      > And it wears high heels
      > Number Six calls to you
      > Cylon Detector beckons
      > Your girlfriend is a toaster -----Battlestar Operatica-----

      "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
      the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great
      and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's
      desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
      - H. L. Mencken, in the Baltimore Sun, July 26, 1920