Re: [PBML] Comparing strings with array of values

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005

      Grier> Is there any chance you can be convinced to lay off the venom and just
      Grier> ignore people you don't think have done their due diligence?

      I've tried that. It seems to get worse then. People get even more lazy.

      If I can *scare* someone into "looking into the FAQ first", in the
      long run, my job is done.

      A group support mailing list is only effective when the *real*
      questions are being asked, even when it's a so-called "beginners"
      list. I've been around the net for a long time, and I've seen it
      happen time and time again, that when FAQ-style questions are asked on
      a list, eventually the experts all go away in disgust.

      THERE'S A POINT TO A FAQ. Why do you think the FAQ was invented, and
      carefully collected? So that experts wouldn't have to answer the MOST
      COMMON questions over and over again.

      Not even looking in the FAQ before asking a mailing list, to me, is
      the unacceptable behavior here. "You must be this tall" before
      posting to the net. I'm merely *reacting* to the unacceptable
      behavior. If you think my *reaction* is unacceptable, please look
      back to the root cause.

      Grier> Time would be saved on both sides (and you seem awfully concerned with
      Grier> this) if you simple didn't reply or spent the bare amount of time
      Grier> giving a link to the perl faq.

      For this exchange, yes. For all exchanges overall, no. And I'm going
      long-term on this.

    • Shawn Corey
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
        Grier Johnson wrote:
        > Is there any chance you can be convinced to lay off the venom and just
        > ignore people you don't think have done their due diligence? Seeing
        > your nasty replies is, to me, far worse then someone asking a question
        > that's already in the faq.
        >
        > Time would be saved on both sides (and you seem awfully concerned with
        > this) if you simple didn't reply or spent the bare amount of time
        > giving a link to the perl faq.
        >
        > --
        > Grier

        Please don't respond to the trolls, it only encourages them to post more
        of the same. I know it's difficult not to reply but they write these
        things just to make you angry. Ignore them long enough and they'll go away.

        --- Shawn
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005

          Shawn> Please don't respond to the trolls, it only encourages them to
          Shawn> post more of the same. I know it's difficult not to reply but
          Shawn> they write these things just to make you angry. Ignore them
          Shawn> long enough and they'll go away.

          I presume you're talking about *him* being a troll and not me. It's
          not my intention to make anyone angry. I do not control anyone's
          emotions, nor pretend to. In fact, the very phrase "make you angry"
          implies something that ultimately does not exist.