Re: Comparing strings with array of values

  • acummingsus
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "James Colannino" <perl-
      beginner@c...> wrote:
      > [ snip seeks if exists a match(ing) (element) between a string and
      (in) an array ]

      FWIW, if anyone interested:

      http://perldoc.perl.org/search.html?q=element+in+list

      http://perldoc.perl.org/search.html?q=find+if+element+in+list

      Curiously, that 2nd of the two links drops the faq in question from
      number one on the faq list down to number two on the returned list
      (scrolled down the page to the faq portion).

      http://perldoc.perl.org/search.html?q=find+if+match+element+in+list

      (still at # 2)

      I wonder why the faq's don't come up on top (if/(since?) they contain
      the preferred way to do something?

      Me may at times but may not at other times know what preference order
      in which to take stuff in.

      I suppose the answer to that^^ ^^, at this time anyways, is to know
      the faq's well (since they lead off?) -- do they lead off?

      If so, a bit of emphasis to that effect at above links would improve
      for me.

      But perhaps I've some portion of this wrong.

      Alan.
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005

        Grier> Is there any chance you can be convinced to lay off the venom and just
        Grier> ignore people you don't think have done their due diligence?

        I've tried that. It seems to get worse then. People get even more lazy.

        If I can *scare* someone into "looking into the FAQ first", in the
        long run, my job is done.

        A group support mailing list is only effective when the *real*
        questions are being asked, even when it's a so-called "beginners"
        list. I've been around the net for a long time, and I've seen it
        happen time and time again, that when FAQ-style questions are asked on
        a list, eventually the experts all go away in disgust.

        THERE'S A POINT TO A FAQ. Why do you think the FAQ was invented, and
        carefully collected? So that experts wouldn't have to answer the MOST
        COMMON questions over and over again.

        Not even looking in the FAQ before asking a mailing list, to me, is
        the unacceptable behavior here. "You must be this tall" before
        posting to the net. I'm merely *reacting* to the unacceptable
        behavior. If you think my *reaction* is unacceptable, please look
        back to the root cause.

        Grier> Time would be saved on both sides (and you seem awfully concerned with
        Grier> this) if you simple didn't reply or spent the bare amount of time
        Grier> giving a link to the perl faq.

        For this exchange, yes. For all exchanges overall, no. And I'm going
        long-term on this.

      • Shawn Corey
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
          Grier Johnson wrote:
          > Is there any chance you can be convinced to lay off the venom and just
          > ignore people you don't think have done their due diligence? Seeing
          > your nasty replies is, to me, far worse then someone asking a question
          > that's already in the faq.
          >
          > Time would be saved on both sides (and you seem awfully concerned with
          > this) if you simple didn't reply or spent the bare amount of time
          > giving a link to the perl faq.
          >
          > --
          > Grier

          Please don't respond to the trolls, it only encourages them to post more
          of the same. I know it's difficult not to reply but they write these
          things just to make you angry. Ignore them long enough and they'll go away.

          --- Shawn
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005

            Shawn> Please don't respond to the trolls, it only encourages them to
            Shawn> post more of the same. I know it's difficult not to reply but
            Shawn> they write these things just to make you angry. Ignore them
            Shawn> long enough and they'll go away.

            I presume you're talking about *him* being a troll and not me. It's
            not my intention to make anyone angry. I do not control anyone's
            emotions, nor pretend to. In fact, the very phrase "make you angry"
            implies something that ultimately does not exist.