Re: [PBML] Few queries .. very basic

  • Sreeram B S
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      Grier Johnson <grierj@...> wrote:
      On 9/1/05, Sreeram B S <sreeramabsc@...> wrote:

      > (a) Unzip and untar - Done successfully.
      >
      > (b) perl MakeFile.PL - Done successfully. [ I used PREFIX here]
      >
      > (c) make - FAILURE !!
      >
      > login3:~/personal/perl/installs/TermReadKey-2.30 > make
      > cc -c -xO3 -xdepend -DVERSION=\"2.30\" -DXS_VERSION=\"2.30\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE ReadKey.c
      > /usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed
      > *** Error code 1
      > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ReadKey.o'
      > login3:~/personal/perl/installs/TermReadKey-2.30 >
      >
      > How do I correct this? What needs to be changed. Kindly suggest.

      Solaris doesn't come with a compiler installed. You can either buy
      Sun One Studio (expensive, not recommended) or grab gcc from
      sunfreeware.com.

      I'd go with the latter one as it's free and should work ok for most needs.

      --
      Grier

      Hi,

      I am thankful to you for your suggestions. However, I have one query here. I do have gcc in my system. But the Makefile in the module ( ie Perl module for Term::ReadKey), is internally using "cc". I could not trace out as to how to make this Makefile compatible with gcc.

      Do we have any methods for getting modules from CPAN, which are gcc compatible?

      Kindly suggest,

      Thanks,

      Sreeram

    • acummingsus
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Sreeram B S
        <sreeramabsc@y...> wrote:

        > Grier Johnson <grierj@g...> wrote: On 9/1/05, Sreeram B S
        > <sreeramabsc@y...> wrote:
        >
        > > [ snip ]
        [ snip stuff about Solaris and if has compiler or not ]
        > --
        > Grier
        [ snip ]
        > [snip]. I do have gcc in my system. But the Makefile in the
        > module ( ie Perl module for Term::ReadKey), is internally using
        > "cc". I could not trace out as to how to make this Makefile
        > compatible with gcc.
        >
        > Do we have any methods for getting modules from CPAN, which are gcc
        > compatible?

        My Slackware 10.1 uses gcc. But cc also works (can use) due to a
        symlink pointing from cc to gcc. Thus:

        al@p2bs103:~$ which cc
        /usr/bin/cc
        al@p2bs103:~$ which gcc
        /usr/bin/gcc
        al@p2bs103:~$ ls -la /usr/bin/cc
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2005-02-21 22:33 /usr/bin/cc -> gcc*
        al@p2bs103:~$ ls -la /usr/bin/gcc
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2005-02-21 22:33 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-3.3.4*
        al@p2bs103:~$

        (yes, an Asus P2BS scsi motherboard version 1.03, Intel BX chipset,
        circa 1998, 1999)

        Unmodified Slackware 10.1
        --

        (to heck with "man ln"). slink (sym link) helper tool I wrote for me
        who never remembers how to make a sym link. (I don't know if you need

        A Perl I wrote, named it slink:

        #!/usr/bin/perl -w

        # ln -s /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread acroread
        use strict;

        print <<STUF;

        Creates a sym link
        Useage: must be root; cd to where want the link to reside;
        (usually in the search path)
        at prompt enter: /usr/local/bin/perl perl
        done in /usr/bin that makes
        /usr/bin/perl point to /usr/local/bin/perl
        (runs ln -s /path/dir/file_name file_name)
        which gets the command syntax correct for me

        OR enter q to exit/cancel
        STUF
        print "\nenter /path/file_name file_name: ";
        chomp(my $path_w_name = <STDIN>);
        while (1) {
        last if $path_w_name =~ /q/;
        system("ln -s $path_w_name");
        # print "$path_w_name";
        last;
        }
        if ($path_w_name =~ /q/) {
        print "\ncanceled\n"; }
        print "\n";
        # end

        --
        Alan.
      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acelists@g...> wrote:
          [ snip ]
          > last if $path_w_name =~ /q/;

          last if $path_w_name =~ /\bq\b/; # better in case of q within string

          [ snip ]
          > if ($path_w_name =~ /q/) {

          if ($path_w_name =~ /\bq\b/) { # better in case of q within string

          Not best. Not yet anyways. Good enuff works for me.

          --
          Alan.