Re: [PBML] Comparing strings with array of values

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005

      James> I should have. Honestly I had forgotten that there was a perl faq I
      James> could read. If it had occured to me I would have done so. I'll
      James> remember to read it from now on.

      How could you have also forgotten that Perl comes with approximately
      ONE THOUSAND pages of documentation and looked there though. At least
      at the table of contents? The table of contents lists no less than
      *nine* lines (ten if you count the TOC) that match something like
      "FAQ".

      >> Even better, read through the
      >> FAQ instead of wasting time surfing the web or filling out your blog
      >> or chatting on IRC.
      >>

      James> I'll keep my comments short and polite and simply state that you're
      James> very rude to have sent such a post publically to this list (if you
      James> wanted to accuse me of not having put any effort into searching for
      James> the answer, especially in such a sarcastic and hostile tone, you
      James> should have done so privately.)

      I'm just going to repeat... if the shoe fits, wear it, otherwise brush
      it off. And the response is not just for you... it's also a warning
      to others to AT LEAST DO YOUR BASIC SEARCH BEFORE ASKING.

      The fact that you're trying to use Perl, but didn't even *remember*
      there was a FAQ, let alone look in it, already says everything about
      you that I need to know with respect to this exchange. Maybe you're a
      different person about other programming languages, or in other
      situations, but I really don't feel I'm out of line to point out
      rather bluntly that you were either lazy or distracted this time
      around, and that WASTES ALL OF OUR TIME, including yours.

    • Grier Johnson
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        On 01 Sep 2005 16:00:58 -0700, merlyn@...
        <merlyn@...> wrote:

        > The fact that you're trying to use Perl, but didn't even *remember*
        > there was a FAQ, let alone look in it, already says everything about
        > you that I need to know with respect to this exchange. Maybe you're a
        > different person about other programming languages, or in other
        > situations, but I really don't feel I'm out of line to point out
        > rather bluntly that you were either lazy or distracted this time
        > around, and that WASTES ALL OF OUR TIME, including yours.

        Is there any chance you can be convinced to lay off the venom and just
        ignore people you don't think have done their due diligence? Seeing
        your nasty replies is, to me, far worse then someone asking a question
        that's already in the faq.

        Time would be saved on both sides (and you seem awfully concerned with
        this) if you simple didn't reply or spent the bare amount of time
        giving a link to the perl faq.

        --
        Grier
      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "James Colannino" <perl-
          beginner@c...> wrote:
          > [ snip seeks if exists a match(ing) (element) between a string and
          (in) an array ]

          FWIW, if anyone interested:

          http://perldoc.perl.org/search.html?q=element+in+list

          http://perldoc.perl.org/search.html?q=find+if+element+in+list

          Curiously, that 2nd of the two links drops the faq in question from
          number one on the faq list down to number two on the returned list
          (scrolled down the page to the faq portion).

          http://perldoc.perl.org/search.html?q=find+if+match+element+in+list

          (still at # 2)

          I wonder why the faq's don't come up on top (if/(since?) they contain
          the preferred way to do something?

          Me may at times but may not at other times know what preference order
          in which to take stuff in.

          I suppose the answer to that^^ ^^, at this time anyways, is to know
          the faq's well (since they lead off?) -- do they lead off?

          If so, a bit of emphasis to that effect at above links would improve
          for me.

          But perhaps I've some portion of this wrong.

          Alan.
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005

            Grier> Is there any chance you can be convinced to lay off the venom and just
            Grier> ignore people you don't think have done their due diligence?

            I've tried that. It seems to get worse then. People get even more lazy.

            If I can *scare* someone into "looking into the FAQ first", in the
            long run, my job is done.

            A group support mailing list is only effective when the *real*
            questions are being asked, even when it's a so-called "beginners"
            list. I've been around the net for a long time, and I've seen it
            happen time and time again, that when FAQ-style questions are asked on
            a list, eventually the experts all go away in disgust.

            THERE'S A POINT TO A FAQ. Why do you think the FAQ was invented, and
            carefully collected? So that experts wouldn't have to answer the MOST
            COMMON questions over and over again.

            Not even looking in the FAQ before asking a mailing list, to me, is
            the unacceptable behavior here. "You must be this tall" before
            posting to the net. I'm merely *reacting* to the unacceptable
            behavior. If you think my *reaction* is unacceptable, please look
            back to the root cause.

            Grier> Time would be saved on both sides (and you seem awfully concerned with
            Grier> this) if you simple didn't reply or spent the bare amount of time
            Grier> giving a link to the perl faq.

            For this exchange, yes. For all exchanges overall, no. And I'm going
            long-term on this.

          • Shawn Corey
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
              Grier Johnson wrote:
              > Is there any chance you can be convinced to lay off the venom and just
              > ignore people you don't think have done their due diligence? Seeing
              > your nasty replies is, to me, far worse then someone asking a question
              > that's already in the faq.
              >
              > Time would be saved on both sides (and you seem awfully concerned with
              > this) if you simple didn't reply or spent the bare amount of time
              > giving a link to the perl faq.
              >
              > --
              > Grier

              Please don't respond to the trolls, it only encourages them to post more
              of the same. I know it's difficult not to reply but they write these
              things just to make you angry. Ignore them long enough and they'll go away.

              --- Shawn
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005

                Shawn> Please don't respond to the trolls, it only encourages them to
                Shawn> post more of the same. I know it's difficult not to reply but
                Shawn> they write these things just to make you angry. Ignore them
                Shawn> long enough and they'll go away.

                I presume you're talking about *him* being a troll and not me. It's
                not my intention to make anyone angry. I do not control anyone's
                emotions, nor pretend to. In fact, the very phrase "make you angry"
                implies something that ultimately does not exist.