Re: [PBML] Few queries .. very basic

  • Grier Johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      On 9/1/05, Sreeram B S <sreeramabsc@...> wrote:

      > (a) Unzip and untar - Done successfully.
      >
      > (b) perl MakeFile.PL - Done successfully. [ I used PREFIX here]
      >
      > (c) make - FAILURE !!
      >
      > login3:~/personal/perl/installs/TermReadKey-2.30 > make
      > cc -c -xO3 -xdepend -DVERSION=\"2.30\" -DXS_VERSION=\"2.30\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE ReadKey.c
      > /usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed
      > *** Error code 1
      > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ReadKey.o'
      > login3:~/personal/perl/installs/TermReadKey-2.30 >
      >
      > How do I correct this? What needs to be changed. Kindly suggest.

      Solaris doesn't come with a compiler installed. You can either buy
      Sun One Studio (expensive, not recommended) or grab gcc from
      sunfreeware.com.

      I'd go with the latter one as it's free and should work ok for most needs.

      --
      Grier
    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Grier Johnson <grierj@g...> wrote:
        > Solaris doesn't come with a compiler installed. You can either buy
        > Sun One Studio (expensive, not recommended) or grab gcc from
        > sunfreeware.com.
        >
        > I'd go with the latter one as it's free and should work ok for most
        needs.

        > --
        > Grier

        Sun Studio 10 is available for free from
        http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/

        I suggesting going with Sun Studio 10 because it is actively maintain
        while I'm not sure about gcc on Solaris.
      • Grier Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
          On 9/1/05, Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...> wrote:

          > Sun Studio 10 is available for free from
          > http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/
          >
          > I suggesting going with Sun Studio 10 because it is actively maintain
          > while I'm not sure about gcc on Solaris.

          I stand corrected. If it's free, stick to the sun product.

          --
          Grier
        • Sreeram B S
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
            Grier Johnson <grierj@...> wrote:
            On 9/1/05, Sreeram B S <sreeramabsc@...> wrote:

            > (a) Unzip and untar - Done successfully.
            >
            > (b) perl MakeFile.PL - Done successfully. [ I used PREFIX here]
            >
            > (c) make - FAILURE !!
            >
            > login3:~/personal/perl/installs/TermReadKey-2.30 > make
            > cc -c -xO3 -xdepend -DVERSION=\"2.30\" -DXS_VERSION=\"2.30\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE ReadKey.c
            > /usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed
            > *** Error code 1
            > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ReadKey.o'
            > login3:~/personal/perl/installs/TermReadKey-2.30 >
            >
            > How do I correct this? What needs to be changed. Kindly suggest.

            Solaris doesn't come with a compiler installed. You can either buy
            Sun One Studio (expensive, not recommended) or grab gcc from
            sunfreeware.com.

            I'd go with the latter one as it's free and should work ok for most needs.

            --
            Grier

            Hi,

            I am thankful to you for your suggestions. However, I have one query here. I do have gcc in my system. But the Makefile in the module ( ie Perl module for Term::ReadKey), is internally using "cc". I could not trace out as to how to make this Makefile compatible with gcc.

            Do we have any methods for getting modules from CPAN, which are gcc compatible?

            Kindly suggest,

            Thanks,

            Sreeram

          • acummingsus
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Sreeram B S
              <sreeramabsc@y...> wrote:

              > Grier Johnson <grierj@g...> wrote: On 9/1/05, Sreeram B S
              > <sreeramabsc@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > [ snip ]
              [ snip stuff about Solaris and if has compiler or not ]
              > --
              > Grier
              [ snip ]
              > [snip]. I do have gcc in my system. But the Makefile in the
              > module ( ie Perl module for Term::ReadKey), is internally using
              > "cc". I could not trace out as to how to make this Makefile
              > compatible with gcc.
              >
              > Do we have any methods for getting modules from CPAN, which are gcc
              > compatible?

              My Slackware 10.1 uses gcc. But cc also works (can use) due to a
              symlink pointing from cc to gcc. Thus:

              al@p2bs103:~$ which cc
              /usr/bin/cc
              al@p2bs103:~$ which gcc
              /usr/bin/gcc
              al@p2bs103:~$ ls -la /usr/bin/cc
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2005-02-21 22:33 /usr/bin/cc -> gcc*
              al@p2bs103:~$ ls -la /usr/bin/gcc
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2005-02-21 22:33 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-3.3.4*
              al@p2bs103:~$

              (yes, an Asus P2BS scsi motherboard version 1.03, Intel BX chipset,
              circa 1998, 1999)

              Unmodified Slackware 10.1
              --

              (to heck with "man ln"). slink (sym link) helper tool I wrote for me
              who never remembers how to make a sym link. (I don't know if you need

              A Perl I wrote, named it slink:

              #!/usr/bin/perl -w

              # ln -s /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread acroread
              use strict;

              print <<STUF;

              Creates a sym link
              Useage: must be root; cd to where want the link to reside;
              (usually in the search path)
              at prompt enter: /usr/local/bin/perl perl
              done in /usr/bin that makes
              /usr/bin/perl point to /usr/local/bin/perl
              (runs ln -s /path/dir/file_name file_name)
              which gets the command syntax correct for me

              OR enter q to exit/cancel
              STUF
              print "\nenter /path/file_name file_name: ";
              chomp(my $path_w_name = <STDIN>);
              while (1) {
              last if $path_w_name =~ /q/;
              system("ln -s $path_w_name");
              # print "$path_w_name";
              last;
              }
              if ($path_w_name =~ /q/) {
              print "\ncanceled\n"; }
              print "\n";
              # end

              --
              Alan.
            • acummingsus
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
                --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acelists@g...> wrote:
                [ snip ]
                > last if $path_w_name =~ /q/;

                last if $path_w_name =~ /\bq\b/; # better in case of q within string

                [ snip ]
                > if ($path_w_name =~ /q/) {

                if ($path_w_name =~ /\bq\b/) { # better in case of q within string

                Not best. Not yet anyways. Good enuff works for me.

                --
                Alan.