recommended book for (modern) perl?

  • gabor1023
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2005
      hi,

      i'm a programmer mostly using python/java.

      i'd like to learn perl...

      what books do you recommend?

      i'm asking because i've found lots of tutorials and books,
      but i have a feeling that perl doesn't force you to code the 'right'
      way... (i know the saying that there are always more ways to do
      something in perl, but still)

      so, what is considered the 'right' (or best or most effective or most
      maintainable or most widespread) way/style to code in perl? using
      objects?

      so, which books do you recommend?

      it does not have to be strictly a printed book... it can also be an
      online version...
    • a_z0_9_blah
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2005
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "gabor1023" <gabor@z...> wrote:
        > hi,
        >
        > i'm a programmer mostly using python/java.
        >
        > i'd like to learn perl...
        >
        > what books do you recommend?
        >
        > i'm asking because i've found lots of tutorials and books,
        > but i have a feeling that perl doesn't force you to code the 'right'
        > way...

        This link, http://learn.perl.org/, lists the various books for
        beginners as well as beyond. And very good observation on your part
        that you want to write effective, maintainable code.

        Chris
      • David Heayn
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2005

          >so, what is considered the 'right' (or best or most effective or most
          >maintainable or most widespread) way/style to code in perl? using
          >objects?
          >
          >so, which books do you recommend?

          Effective Perl Programming.
          They have lots of good style tips as well as a big handful of
          shortcuts for efficiency and usability.

          David Heayn * http://www.cloudgraphics.com * 213/925.3283
        • acummingsus
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2005
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "gabor1023" <gabor@z...> wrote:
            > hi,
            >
            > i'm a programmer mostly using python/java.
            >
            > i'd like to learn perl...

            This Perl can pack some big punch in a short amount of code especially
            when using for text processing.

            Short code may not always be the goal though.

            > what books do you recommend?

            http://www.theperlreview.com/

            and, an article that references same:
            http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7232

            It's time to renew my subscription. I've been a subscriber for a year now.

            They feature book reviews and also code style helps/articles. And more
            ie recent news happenings Perl related and more.

            I *thrive* on seeing the next issue be released. I could never get too
            many issues of that magazine.

            (P.S. I've no affiliation. I'm just a fan/subscriber).

            Alan.