PERL & UNIX Expert!!!

  • alphaeus_perl
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
      Hi,

      We have a few great opportunities for Perl, Unix/linux/solaris
      professionals in Bangalore, India. The companies are some of the best
      to work for in the world - and you will be working at their Bangalore
      Development Center.

      If you call yourself a Perl Expert and a Unix expert, with 3 to 9
      years experience and with a strong academic background, we definitely
      want to talk to you.

      Please revert to us immediately either by mail or by phone. Thanks.

      Manjunath
      Alphaeus HR
      manju @ alphaeus.com
      Phone: +91-80-51216414 to 17
    • Jenda Krynicky
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
        From: "alphaeus_perl" <alphaeus_perl@...>
        Subject: [PBML] PERL & UNIX Expert!!!
        > Hi,
        >
        > We have a few great opportunities for Perl, Unix/linux/solaris
        > professionals in Bangalore, India. The companies are some of the best
        > to work for in the world - and you will be working at their Bangalore
        > Development Center.
        >
        > If you call yourself a Perl Expert and a Unix expert, with 3 to 9
        > years experience and with a strong academic background, we definitely
        > want to talk to you.
        >
        > Please revert to us immediately either by mail or by phone. Thanks.
        >
        > Manjunath
        > Alphaeus HR

        What makes you think you'll find experts in a group called "perl-
        beginner"? And why do you think your advertisements are expected or
        even appreciated here? Will you Indians ever learn? This is NOT a job
        offer group! Stop spamming you idiots.

        Jenda
        P.S.: Indian and expert in the same sentence doesn't make sense to
        me. I have yet to meet an Indian that knows what he/she's doing. I've
        met a few that were claiming they're experts in one field or another
        and spread utter nonsense though. Or created code that was long,
        inefficient, hard to maintain and wrong, wrong, wrong. Not speaking
        about the fact that it takes twenty Indians to "develop" a project
        that'd everywhere else take just one or two programmers. No surprise
        you have to keep searching for more manpower.
        P.P.S.: You have been baned, not that I would think this makes any
        difference with those millions of clueless Indian personalists.
        == Jenda@... == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==
        : What do people think?
        What, do people think? :-)
        -- Larry Wall in <199808071736.KAA12738@...>
      • Ron Goral
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005

          Perhaps I'll be banned too, but...

          While job advertisements do not belong on this list, neither do racial or
          personal angst posts. I do not appreciate having to stare into the darkness
          of a bigoted mind.

          Peace -
          Ron Goral
        • hooyar66
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Goral"
            wrote:

> [...]

            Seconded - I am disgusted by that racist post, and amazed that
            someone so well versed in Perl could be so ignorant to stereotype and
            generalise one billion individuals.

            Being right, does not endow the right to be rude; politeness costs
            nothing. Being unknowing, is not the same as being stupid. Expressing
            a contrary opinion, whether to the individual or the group, is more
            often a sign of deeper thought than of cantankerous belligerence.
            Do not mistake your goals as the only goals; your opinion as the only
            opinion; your confidence as correctness. Saying you know better is
            not the same as explaining you know better.
          • ateeq
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
              Hello,
              I have a feeling that the posting of this message was a loss of temper
              due to an inordinate volume of spam...
              I agree that posting jobs in this group is not a good thing at all.
              However, perhaps we can avoid impugning people's nationalities in
              process. Indian programmers are an up and coming group of folk who
              deserve to be respected for their skill, just like every programmer from
              anywhere else.

              Regards to all
              Ateeq Ahmad ( dash it! another indian)

              Jenda Krynicky wrote:

              > From: "alphaeus_perl" <alphaeus_perl@...>
              > Subject: [PBML] PERL & UNIX Expert!!!
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > We have a few great opportunities for Perl, Unix/linux/solaris
              > > professionals in Bangalore, India. The companies are some of the best
              > > to work for in the world - and you will be working at their Bangalore
              > > Development Center.
              > >
              > > If you call yourself a Perl Expert and a Unix expert, with 3 to 9
              > > years experience and with a strong academic background, we definitely
              > > want to talk to you.
              > >
              > > Please revert to us immediately either by mail or by phone. Thanks.
              > >
              > > Manjunath
              > > Alphaeus HR
              >
              > What makes you think you'll find experts in a group called "perl-
              > beginner"? And why do you think your advertisements are expected or
              > even appreciated here? Will you Indians ever learn? This is NOT a job
              > offer group! Stop spamming you idiots.
              >
              > Jenda
              > P.S.: Indian and expert in the same sentence doesn't make sense to
              > me. I have yet to meet an Indian that knows what he/she's doing. I've
              > met a few that were claiming they're experts in one field or another
              > and spread utter nonsense though. Or created code that was long,
              > inefficient, hard to maintain and wrong, wrong, wrong. Not speaking
              > about the fact that it takes twenty Indians to "develop" a project
              > that'd everywhere else take just one or two programmers. No surprise
              > you have to keep searching for more manpower.
              > P.P.S.: You have been baned, not that I would think this makes any
              > difference with those millions of clueless Indian personalists.
              > == Jenda@... == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==
              > : What do people think?
              > What, do people think? :-)
              > -- Larry Wall in <199808071736.KAA12738@...>
              >

              > Unsubscribing info is here:

            • Prakash
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                dear jenda,

                I think you are just pissed of for some personal reasons..i think
                somebody decided to give a project to a smart indian instead of you ?? :-))

                inst it that true jenda ?? poor jenda dont worry you will get projects too

                -prak

              • Prakash
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                  how can she be such a nazzi and be the owner of this group.. if i am
                  going to be blocked for saying this please do block me ..

                  i dont want to be in a group where a racist is the group leader..

                  -prak

                • Vijay A Raghavan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Jenda you are a shame to the group. I think you should ban yourself from the group.

                    P.S: I think you should shut up your fucking mouth. You asshole, fucking moron !!!

                    P.P.S: Did you lose your job or have you been recently fired for being mentally unwell.

                    -Vijay

                    ateeq wrote:

                    >Hello,
                    >I have a feeling that the posting of this message was a loss of temper
                    >due to an inordinate volume of spam...
                    >I agree that posting jobs in this group is not a good thing at all.
                    >However, perhaps we can avoid impugning people's nationalities in
                    >process. Indian programmers are an up and coming group of folk who
                    >deserve to be respected for their skill, just like every programmer from
                    >anywhere else.
                    >
                    >Regards to all
                    >Ateeq Ahmad ( dash it! another indian)
                    >

                    >Jenda Krynicky wrote:
                    >

                    >>From: "alphaeus_perl" <alphaeus_perl@...>
                    >>Subject: [PBML] PERL & UNIX Expert!!!
                    >>

                    >>>Hi,
                    >>>
                    >>>We have a few great opportunities for Perl, Unix/linux/solaris
                    >>>professionals in Bangalore, India. The companies are some of the best
                    >>>to work for in the world - and you will be working at their Bangalore
                    >>>Development Center.
                    >>>
                    >>>If you call yourself a Perl Expert and a Unix expert, with 3 to 9
                    >>>years experience and with a strong academic background, we definitely
                    >>>want to talk to you.
                    >>>
                    >>>Please revert to us immediately either by mail or by phone. Thanks.
                    >>>
                    >>>Manjunath
                    >>>Alphaeus HR
                    >>>

                    >>What makes you think you'll find experts in a group called "perl-
                    >>beginner"? And why do you think your advertisements are expected or
                    >>even appreciated here? Will you Indians ever learn? This is NOT a job
                    >>offer group! Stop spamming you idiots.
                    >>
                    >>Jenda
                    >>P.S.: Indian and expert in the same sentence doesn't make sense to
                    >>me. I have yet to meet an Indian that knows what he/she's doing. I've
                    >>met a few that were claiming they're experts in one field or another
                    >>and spread utter nonsense though. Or created code that was long,
                    >>inefficient, hard to maintain and wrong, wrong, wrong. Not speaking
                    >>about the fact that it takes twenty Indians to "develop" a project
                    >>that'd everywhere else take just one or two programmers. No surprise
                    >>you have to keep searching for more manpower.
                    >>P.P.S.: You have been baned, not that I would think this makes any
                    >>difference with those millions of clueless Indian personalists.
                    >>== Jenda@... == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==
                    >>: What do people think?
                    >>What, do people think? :-)
                    >> -- Larry Wall in <199808071736.KAA12738@...>
                    >>

                    >>Unsubscribing info is here:
                    >>http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    C programming language Computer programming languages The c programming language C programming language List of programming languages Programming languages

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                      On 8/4/05, Vijay A Raghavan <rva_ec@...> wrote:
                      > Jenda you are a shame to the group. I think you should ban yourself from the group.
                      >
                      > P.S: I think you should shut up your fucking mouth. You asshole, fucking moron !!!
                      >
                      > P.P.S: Did you lose your job or have you been recently fired for being mentally unwell.
                      >
                      > -Vijay

                      Is this really necessary?

                      Personal attacks are somehow better then gross generalizations?

                      There are unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each e-mail. I
                      don't condone racism, but it's the Internet. Get over it. Responding
                      with obscenities isn't going to argue your case.

                      Regardless, calling everyone with a bigoted opinion a "Nazi" cheapens
                      the horrors that the Nazi actually did commit. Let's review. Jenda
                      said mean things on the Internet. Nazis killed millions of Jews,
                      gypsies, blacks, homosexuals and handicapped persons.

                      Not exactly the same thing.

                      --
                      Grier
                    • Dave Gray
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                        > >Jenda Krynicky wrote:
                        > >>P.S.: Indian and expert in the same sentence doesn't make sense to
                        > >>me. I have yet to meet an Indian that knows what he/she's doing. I've
                        > >>met a few that were claiming they're experts in one field or another
                        > >>and spread utter nonsense though. Or created code that was long,
                        > >>inefficient, hard to maintain and wrong, wrong, wrong. Not speaking
                        > >>about the fact that it takes twenty Indians to "develop" a project
                        > >>that'd everywhere else take just one or two programmers. No surprise
                        > >>you have to keep searching for more manpower.
                        > >>P.P.S.: You have been baned, not that I would think this makes any
                        > >>difference with those millions of clueless Indian personalists.

                        > ateeq wrote:
                        >
                        > >Hello,
                        > >I have a feeling that the posting of this message was a loss of temper
                        > >due to an inordinate volume of spam...
                        > >I agree that posting jobs in this group is not a good thing at all.
                        > >However, perhaps we can avoid impugning people's nationalities in
                        > >process. Indian programmers are an up and coming group of folk who
                        > >deserve to be respected for their skill, just like every programmer from
                        > >anywhere else.
                        > >
                        > >Regards to all
                        > >Ateeq Ahmad ( dash it! another indian)
                        > >

                        > Prakash <prakash@...> wrote:
                        > dear jenda,
                        >
                        > I think you are just pissed of for some personal reasons..i think
                        > somebody decided to give a project to a smart indian instead of you ?? :-))
                        >
                        > inst it that true jenda ?? poor jenda dont worry you will get projects too
                        >
                        > -prak

                        On 8/4/05, Vijay A Raghavan <rva_ec@...> wrote:
                        > Jenda you are a shame to the group. I think you should ban yourself from the group.
                        >
                        > P.S: I think you should shut up your fucking mouth. You asshole, fucking moron !!!
                        >
                        > P.P.S: Did you lose your job or have you been recently fired for being mentally unwell.

                        Well, considering that all generalizations are false, I find it hard
                        to agree with Jenda in the general case. There are definitely a lot of
                        low-quality programmers. Some of them happen to be Indian. By virtue
                        of the fact that there are a lot of Indians, there is the potential
                        for there to be a lot more bad Indian programmers than of other
                        nationalities. Thus, Jenda's statements are a great example of
                        converse error.

                        It's too bad that you haven't worked with any good Indian programmers,
                        Jenda. They are out there, contrary to what you may have experienced.
                        I've worked with numerous bad American programmers too, and it's just
                        as annoying.

                        Dave

                        P.P.S. Vijay, swearing on a public mailing list is rarely a good idea.
                        It dilutes your meaning and distracts from your point.
                      • Frank D. Gunseor
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                          Sir,

                          Your use of common gutter language in a perl email list speaks to your lack
                          of professionalism, education and up-bringing!

                          FDG

                          _____

                          "http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz"http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==
                          >>: What do people think?
                          >>What, do people think? :-)
                          >> -- Larry Wall in <199808071736.KAA12738@...>
                          >>

                          >>Unsubscribing info is here:
                          >>HYPERLINK
                          "http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html"http://help.yahoo.com/h
                          elp/us/groups/groups-32.html

                          "http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                          >Unsubscribing info is here: HYPERLINK
                          "http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html"http://help.yahoo.com/h
                          elp/us/groups/groups-32.html
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Unsubscribing info is here: HYPERLINK
                          "http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html"http://help.yahoo.com/h
                          elp/us/groups/groups-32.html

                          C programming language Computer programming languages The c programming
                          language C programming language List of programming languages Programming
                          languages

                          Unsubscribing info is here: HYPERLINK
                          "http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-32.html"http://help.yahoo.com/h
                          elp/us/groups/groups-32.html

                          HYPERLINK
                          "http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=C+programming+language&w1=C+programming
                          +language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+language&w4
                          =C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programming+la
                          nguages&c=6&s=188&.sig=uAODdjBuPf2AFmZC4D7SEA"C programming language
                          HYPERLINK
                          "http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+programming+languages&w1=C+pro
                          gramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+lan
                          guage&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Progra
                          mming+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=y_P2xIdODNaACD_DIso--g"Computer programming
                          languages HYPERLINK
                          "http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=The+c+programming+language&w1=C+program
                          ming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+languag
                          e&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programmin
                          g+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=LYwwGQcbg4iMgXAcxGNaUQ"The c programming language

                          HYPERLINK
                          "http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=C+++programming+language&w1=C+programmi
                          ng+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+language&
                          w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programming+
                          languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=vc-tNFvVPlU95RrPUEEQWw"C programming language
                          HYPERLINK
                          "http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=List+of+programming+languages&w1=C+prog
                          ramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+lang
                          uage&w4=C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Program
                          ming+languages&c=6&s=188&.sig=N4t1_rAV70WeS0TXNSIuwg"List of programming
                          languages HYPERLINK
                          "http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=C+programming+
                          language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=The+c+programming+language&w4=
                          C+++programming+language&w5=List+of+programming+languages&w6=Programming+lan
                          guages&c=6&s=188&.sig=VzaKrIWH0EAAnzSwDNT1XQ"Programming languages

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "HYPERLINK
                          "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perl-beginner"perl-beginner" on the web.

                          HYPERLINK
                          "mailto:perl-beginner-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"perl-b

                          _____

                        • Ezra Taylor
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
                            Hello hooyar66:
                            What does knowing alot of perl have to do
                            with not being a racist. Don't you know, their are racist from all
                            academic levels. From the really stupid to the most intelligent.
                            Also, these sentiments have been growing about forigen workers for
                            some time now. You have to blind not to have noticed this. With that
                            said, I personally keep away from all racist activities; regardless
                            who it comes from. Lastly, I heard asians,europeans and others refer
                            to Americans as being stupid but they keep this information between
                            theirselves.

                          • hooyar66
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
                              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Ezra Taylor <ezra.taylor@g...>
                              wrote:
                              > Hello hooyar66:
                              > What does knowing alot of perl have to do
                              > with not being a racist. Don't you know, their are racist from all
                              > academic levels. From the really stupid to the most intelligent.
                              > Also, these sentiments have been growing about forigen workers for
                              > some time now. You have to blind not to have noticed this. With
                              that
                              > said, I personally keep away from all racist activities; regardless
                              > who it comes from. Lastly, I heard asians,europeans and others
                              refer
                              > to Americans as being stupid but they keep this information between
                              > theirselves.

                              Hi Ezra

                              I don't want to prolong the time spent here on this issue, there are
                              plenty of more appropriate places to discuss racism etc - that said

                              Yes I was hasty to suggest there is a link between academic
                              intelligence and racism, sorry about that - I hope I didn't offend you
                              ;-) I am not blind to the many examples of this around the world.

                              I should probably have said that a lack of common/shared experience
                              between different cultures and races is usually the cause of bigotry.
                              I am no expert on .cz but I guess there is a greater lack of
                              experience of other cultures there, than for example in the UK where
                              I live.

                              >Lastly, I heard asians,europeans and others refer
                              > to Americans as being stupid but they keep this information between
                              > theirselves.

                              As a European this is not news to me ;-) There are bigots everywhere.

                            • Jenda Krynicky
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
                                From: Prakash <prakash@...>
                                > dear jenda,
                                >
                                > I think you are just pissed of for some personal reasons.

                                Not too personal, but you are right I was rather pissed of yesterday.
                                Sorry.

                                > .i think
                                > somebody decided to give a project to a smart indian instead of you
                                > ?? :-))
                                >
                                > inst it that true jenda ?? poor jenda dont worry you will get projects
                                > too

                                No, I've had to fix some projects that were originaly outsourced to
                                Indian companies. And talked to coleagues that had to do the same and
                                seen the code.

                                > ateeq wrote:
                                > >Hello,
                                > >I have a feeling that the posting of this message was a loss of
                                > >temper due to an inordinate volume of spam... I agree that posting
                                > >jobs in this group is not a good thing at all. However, perhaps we
                                > >can avoid impugning people's nationalities in process. Indian
                                > >programmers are an up and coming group of folk who deserve to be
                                > >respected for their skill, just like every programmer from anywhere
                                > >else.
                                > >
                                > >Regards to all
                                > >Ateeq Ahmad ( dash it! another indian)

                                Yes, I lost my temper and the ad was the proverbial last drop. It's
                                true though that the only job ads I've ever seen in this group have
                                been sent by Indians and that there has lately been a large influx of
                                Indian newbies, very often lacking both humility and any basics of
                                programming. I'm sure there have been exceptions to this and I'm sure
                                it's gonna get better over time.

                                Just like you are no longer supposed to be an idiot just because your
                                email ends @... as you were shortly after AOL connected to the
                                Internet and thousands of AOLers with no netiquette swarmed the Net.

                                From: Prakash <prakash@...>
                                > how can she be such a nazzi and be the owner of this group.. if i
                                am
                                > going to be blocked for saying this please do block me ..
                                >
                                > i dont want to be in a group where a racist is the group leader..

                                It's "he", not "she". And I'm just a co-moderator.

                                From: hooyar66" <pcbcad@...>
                                > Seconded - I am disgusted by that racist post, and amazed that
                                > someone so well versed in Perl could be so ignorant to stereotype
                                > and generalise one billion individuals.

                                Could anyone explain to me what's racist on my post?

                                I've said I've never met an Indian who know what he as doing. Where's
                                there any racism in that? Where's there any generalization?

                                I've said I have met a few that were claiming to be experts and were
                                spreading nonsense. Where's the racism? Where's the generalization?

                                I've also said I've seen code by said people that was long,
                                inefficient, hard to maintan and wrong. Any racism in that? I don't
                                see it.

                                The only generalization involved the 20 indians in place of 1-2
                                programmers. Well, I based that on the projects we inherited from the
                                Indian companies TMP used to outsource to.

                                Where's the stereotype? I based my comments on my experience, not
                                some media stereotypes.

                                Ezra Taylor <ezra.taylor@...>:
                                > Also, these sentiments have been growing about forigen workers for
                                > some time now. You have to blind not to have noticed this.

                                I'm a "foreign worker" too :-P
                                This has nothing to do with job security. Neither with racism. I know
                                lots of good programmers from all over the world, I just did not meet
                                any from India.

                                I guess I'm not indoctrinated enough by the political corectness for
                                today's world. I'm used to say "this is wrong" it I think it's wrong.
                                I'm used to say "you are stupid" if I think you are stupid and I'm
                                used to say "I've never met an experienced X" if I've never met an
                                experienced X. Even if X happens to be a nationality. And even if
                                it's a nationality that has been "opressed" by the bloody white
                                Europeans. If I can say "all Newtons I know are idiots" I don't see
                                any reason why I could not say "all Indians I know are idiots". And
                                if you do consider one of the sentences racist and the other not then
                                you are the racist.

                                Anyway, sorry to all those offended. I did overreact. So did most
                                people that responded to my outburst. Shit happens.

                                Jenda
                                -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
                              • Prakash
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
                                  everything is correct about you saying what you want to say.. but
                                  remember this.. Larry Wall can call you an idiot !!
                                  millions of others can call u an idiot.. they dont tell because they are
                                  matured and humble enough to know what to say and what not to say..

                                  -prak

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
                                    Dave makes a very valid point. We don't all need to sink into a mire of
                                    recriminations. Let's go on with learning PERL and forget about this
                                    incident. All of us cannot afford to dwell on such things too much, the
                                    viscosity of hate keeps on rising.....

                                    Peace

                                    Ateeq Ahmad