[PBML] Opening Webpages in Perl

  • One
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2000
      Hi and thanks for any help in advance :)

      I am an experienced programmer...but a Perl novice...and put simply I
      was wondering how I could open a web page given the URL for the purpose
      of parsing the HTML.

      I understand that this is a general question lacking detail, but any
      help would be appreciated :)

      Thanks all :)
    • Dan Boger
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2000
        On Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:45:23 -0800 "One" <b222b@...> wrote
        concerning '[PBML] Opening Webpages in Perl':
        > Hi and thanks for any help in advance :)
        >
        > I am an experienced programmer...but a Perl novice...and put simply I
        > was wondering how I could open a web page given the URL for the purpose
        > of parsing the HTML.
        >
        > I understand that this is a general question lacking detail, but any
        > help would be appreciated :)

        it's quite simple actually...

        use LWP::Simple;

        $page = get("http://www.lugnet.com");

        look at the man page for LWP::Simple. I'm not sure if it's in the
        default distribution of perl, or you have to get it from CPAN
        (libwww).

        Dan
      • Gordon Stewart
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2000
          <an old message - in March>
          --- In perl-beginner@egroups.com, Dan Boger <dan@g...> wrote:

          > it's quite simple actually...
          >
          > use LWP::Simple;
          >
          > $page = get("http://www.lugnet.com");

          Hmm - Ive loaded my Modules into the CGI directory of my site - and
          it
          worked (giving error messages re what new module(s) I needed.

          Now - ive donev that - & my 'main' cgi programme wont work at all now.
          - Ive tried to copy the above.

          Can anyone spot any errors ?

          http://lostnfound/netfirms.com/eg/enter1.cgi (text of cgi )

          just take out the cgi name to run it - enter any word you like.

          Gordon.