3/1/01 - Need simple (hopefully) code

  • Gorden-Ozgul, Patricia E
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
      If you have helped me recently, thank you. Each reply has helped me in some
      way.

      In any case, I need a quick/short solution. (like tonight if I can get it).

      I have data..
      <#FIELD NAME = AAA>this is its value</#FIELD>
      <#FIELD NAME = BBB>this is its value</#FIELD>

      I want to go through the entire file and replace the end tag with the
      specific tag name embedded somewhere in it.
      For example, this is what I need:

      <#FIELD NAME = AAA>this is its value</#FIELD AAA>
      <#FIELD NAME = BBB>this is its value</#FIELD BBB>

      Something like storing the string from after the equal sign (=) up to the
      right caret (>) of the beginning tag to a variable and
      inserting the contents of that variable immediately preceeding the right
      caret (>) of the end tag.

      ...For each record.

      If anyone has a clue, please pass it along.

      Thank you.
      Pat

      Pat Gorden-Ozgul BNL-ISD Systems
      gorden@... 631-344-5159
    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
        How about (off the top of my head):
        s/<#FIELD NAME = (.*?)>(.*?)<\/#FIELD>/s/<#FIELD NAME = $1>$2<\/#FIELD
        $1>/;
        (should all be on one line). You may have to escape the '#' character,
        I don't know the regexp special chars off.
        Charles can probably suggest a better, shorter one.

        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Gorden-Ozgul, Patricia E" <gorden@b...>