Re: Best approach for multiple users / minimal configuration

  • Damien Carbery
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2005
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "hooyar66" <neville.hodder@p...>
      wrote:
      > I have written some Perl scripts that need to be available to
      > various colleagues at different locations and I would appreciate
      > some advice on how best to implement this.
      >
      > Background:
      > The users all have access to a specific company (Windows) server
      > and this is where I would like the script to reside - as opposed
      > to various local copies that could create script version control
      > issues.
      > The users all have access to the company Intranet and wider
      > Internet.
      > All access will be through Windows machines.
      >
      > Q1) Can I install a single copy of ActiveStates Perl distribution
      > for Windows on the common server which can then be used by all
      > users to run the scripts rather than every user needing their own
      > local installation of Perl?
      >
      > Q2) Bearing in mind I know next to nothing at all about Perl/CGI
      > (but I have ordered the O'Reilly book) - Would it be possible to
      > avoid any local installations of Perl altogether and simply run
      > the Perl scripts via a Web page on our Intranet? The Users would
      > for example need to be able to make file selections from the
      > common server.
      >
      > Thanks for any help.

      Option 1 should work - Install it on the common server and do some
      quick tests. ActiveState Perl comes with 'pl2bat.bat' which wraps
      the perl script in batch script code to make it easier to launch
      ('script.bat' instead of 'perl scripts.pl').
      An advantage of this option is that the script is run with the rights
      of the user who launched, unlike CGI option. This means that the
      network access right settings come into play and it can provide some
      sort of security, if you don't want everyone using the script.

      Option 2 makes it easier for users to run the script no matter where
      they are, and easier to remember where it is (via a browser bookmark).
      A potentially big disadvantage is that the script will be run as the
      user that the web server is run as, and that is generally one with few
      rights.
      This CGI option can easily be made to look good so management can be
      dazzled and impressed.
      Of course, since you don't know much about CGI programming could
      quickly kill this option.