Re: Image uploading and storing issues

  • kjhseka
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2005
      Hello and thanks for the reply.

      If Image::Magick is not a core perl module, which is the core and
      standard perl module that everybody use to work with images? I
      looking for something like PHP image manupulation functions,
      something available in any web server.

      And, more important: I understand that I can use upload function...
      But I don't understand why Paul Dubois use:

      my $image = param("image");

      To retrieive the image and

      $dbh->do("REPLACE INTO image (name, image, thumbnail,
      mime_type), VALUES(?,?,?,?)", undef, $name, $image, $thumb,
      $mime_type);

      To store it in the database without using any upload function or
      similar stuff. param("image"); should be perfectly sufficient, so
      perhaps I should understand in great detail how uploading works.

      I only know this: after the user upload the file, the data is stored
      in a temporary file on server. The script should retrieive it, but
      why param("image") in this, case would not be sufficient?

      Thanks
      Alph

      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Damien Carbery"
      <daymobrew@y...> wrote:
      > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "kjhseka" <kjhseka@h...>
      wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > > I have a script with several problems on it. The script is taken
      > > from MySql and Perl from the Web by Paul Dubois.
      > >
      > > First of all, I run it into Windows XP system, with Apache
      > > server and MySql. I use IE 6 to test it. The script should
      > > upload an image and store it in the database. I try the script
      > > locally.
      > >
      > > But...
      > >
      > > 1) If I try to upload an image, actually no data is stored in the
      > > database! The database is defined as follow:
      > >
      > > CREATE TABLE image (name VARCHAR(60) NOT NULL, UNIQUE(name),
      image
      > > BLOB NOT NULL,
      > > thumbnail BLOB NOT NULL, mime_type VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL);
      > >
      > > 2) $image variable in my $image = param("image"); should store
      the
      > > binary data of the
      > > image, but it actually only store the path and filename! Is that
      > > normal? Why the variable does not store the binary data?
      > >
      > > Another thing... The Image::Magick module does no longer exist!
      Is
      > > never installed in
      > > most web servers and hosting services and is very difficult to
      get
      > > it. What kind of module is used right now to process images?
      > >
      > > Here's the script, the main problem is that no data is stored in
      the
      > > database, there
      > > is surely some error, but I'm unable to locate it. Or perhaps in
      > > Windows image uploading works differently?
      > >

      > > #! d:/perl/bin/perl.exe
      > > # upload_image.pl - upload images for e-greeting card application
      > > snip the code
      > >
      > > Thanks for any help.
      > >
      > > Alph
      >
      > Image::Magick is not a core perl module so your hosting service may
      > not have it. If they have ImageMagick installed you might be able to
      > use the 'convert' executable directly. I have a script that creates
      > thumbnails with 'convert'.
      >
      > According to the CGI.pm documentation
      > http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-
      3.10/CGI.pm#CREATING_A_FILE_UPLOAD_FIELD

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2005

        kjhseka> If Image::Magick is not a core perl module, which is the core and
        kjhseka> standard perl module that everybody use to work with images?

        There isn't one. Most people use GD or Image::Magick or Imager.

        The CPAN is your friend. Learn to use the CPAN.