CPAN

  • Charles K. Clarkson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2001
      I found a module I want on http://www.perl.com/CPAN.
      I tried using PPM to get it. The module is List::Util. I realize
      I can download it manually, but I'd like to know how to get
      PPM to point to http://www.perl.com/CPAN. I tried using
      set repository CPAN //http://www.perl.com/CPAN.
      PPM just says it can't find a PPD file for List-Util.
      Active-Perl doesn't show a CPAN site in the FAQ. Can
      some one help?

      TIA,
      Charles K. Clarkosn
    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        I wonder could you use:
        Start PPM and type:
        set repository CPAN http://www.perl.com/CPAN
        set save

        I couldn't find the default repository in any of the Perl binaries or
        scripts in the PERL\BIN directory or in the registry. I'm curious
        where it is stored.

        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Charles K. Clarkson" <c_clarkson@h...>
        wrote:

        > I found a module I want on http://www.perl.com/CPAN.
        > I tried using PPM to get it. The module is List::Util. I realize
        > I can download it manually, but I'd like to know how to get
        > PPM to point to http://www.perl.com/CPAN. I tried using
        > set repository CPAN //http://www.perl.com/CPAN.
        > PPM just says it can't find a PPD file for List-Util.
        > Active-Perl doesn't show a CPAN site in the FAQ. Can
        > some one help?
        >
        > TIA,
        > Charles K. Clarkosn
      • Doug Wells
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
          The repository path, and other config information is
          stored in a file called ppm.xml...

          --- Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...> wrote:
          > I wonder could you use:
          > Start PPM and type:
          > set repository CPAN http://www.perl.com/CPAN
          > set save
          >

          > I couldn't find the default repository in any of the
          > Perl binaries or
          > scripts in the PERL\BIN directory or in the
          > registry. I'm curious
          > where it is stored.
          >
          > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Charles K. Clarkson"
          > <c_clarkson@h...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I found a module I want on
          > http://www.perl.com/CPAN.
          > > I tried using PPM to get it. The module is
          > List::Util. I realize
          > > I can download it manually, but I'd like to know
          > how to get
          > > PPM to point to http://www.perl.com/CPAN. I tried
          > using
          > > set repository CPAN //http://www.perl.com/CPAN.
          > > PPM just says it can't find a PPD file for
          > List-Util.
          > > Active-Perl doesn't show a CPAN site in the FAQ.
          > Can
          > > some one help?
          > >
          > > TIA,
          > > Charles K. Clarkosn

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Christopher Mooney
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2001
            Hello all.

            I'm pretty familiar with Perl, but i'm completely new
            to CPAN.

            I tried installing the GD module, but gcc errored out
            saying "cannot find -lttf". I installed a freetype
            rpm, but that only gives me 'libttf.so', not
            'libttf.a', which apparently is the file i need.

            I also tried installing several Bundles, but they gave me
            errors similar to this one:

            "Couldn't find a Bundle file in
            /root/.cpan/build/Bundle-WWW-Search-1.04 at
            /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/CPAN.pm line 1837"

            And finally, is there a way, in the interactive CPAN shell,
            to "less" or "more" the output of a command?

            thanks!
            christopher

            --
            ***************************