Switch

  • tech20052003
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2005
      Anyone know the switch code for searching for a (.) and replacing it
      with the word (dot) and vice versa?
    • J.E. Cripps
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2005
        > Anyone know the switch code for searching for a (.) and replacing it
        > with the word (dot) and vice versa?

        Switch? No "switch" in perl right now :-)

        That's not what you want anyway.

        I think what you want is the substitution operator.
        $ perldoc perlop
      • Damien Carbery
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2005
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "tech20052003"
          <tech20052003@y...> wrote:

          > Anyone know the switch code for searching for a (.) and replacing it
          > with the word (dot) and vice versa?

          The '.' is a special character in regular expressions - it matches
          *any* character. To make it match a '.' you have to 'escape' it i.e.
          prefix it with a slash '\'.

          To substitute ('switch' as you call it) '.' with 'dot' you will use
          the substitute operator with something like:

          $data =~ s/\./dot/g;

          The 'g' modifier tells it to substitute all '.' chars, otherwise it
          would stop after the first one.

          As JE Cripps said, there is more information in the 'perlop' section
          of the docs.