Re: [PBML] Passing variable to second file (cross posted to 'beginners@perl.org

  • johnbr123zzz
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3 7:10 PM
      Hi

      Thanks everyone for your comments. I have taken note of the advice re
      better programming practices.

      This was my first Perl script and the aim was to just get something
      that ran reliably and learn perl at the same time. It runs as a unix
      Cron job (outside of a website) on our network doing daily number
      crunching and then emails the results.

      Wanting to pass variables between the two files has only come about
      since trying to do a recent change. For ease of testing I wanted the
      script to know whether its running in the production or testing
      environment.

      In the long term I will probably rewrite it. I am thinking it might
      be a good exercise to put a lot of the subs into a module, for reuse.

      Thanks, John

      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Mike Southern <gb1198@c...>
      wrote:
      > PS: I assumed that you were writing a program running outside of a
      website
      > environment - like a file or text processor.
      >
      > If what you are doing is web page form processing then not much of
      what I
      > wrote applies (except to encourage good design :) )
      >
      > HTML form get/post methods of course are built entirely to pass
      data between
      > different handling scripts.
      >

      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I have a script that is divided into 2 files for manageability.
      Each