Re: [PBML] Searchable Online Documentation

  • Gavin Henry
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
      On Tuesday 05 Apr 2005 20:43, Mike Dillinger wrote:
      > Speaking of documentation...
      >
      > I used to use www.perldoc.com quite a bit to help me out with functions
      > I wasn't too familiar with. That web site hasn't been working for me
      > for a while now.
      >
      > Are there any similar web sites that people could recommend? I really
      > liked the keyword search they had. For instance, I could type in "join"
      > and it would show me the format required and how it worked.

      The new site is now:

      http://perldoc.perl.org

      > Thanks,
      > -MikeD
      >

      > Unsubscribing info is here:

      Just getting into the best language ever...
      Fancy a yourname@... or something
      on http://www.perl.me.uk Just ask!!!
    • Offer Kaye
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
        On Apr 5, 2005 9:58 PM, Gavin Henry wrote:

        > The new site is now:
        >
        > http://perldoc.perl.org

        Specifically, you can get to a Perl topic page (e.g. perlsyn) using the format:
        http://perldoc.perl.org/topicname.html
        E.g.:
        http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsyn.html

        For functions, add "functions/" to the base URL, followed by the
        function name and the ".html" extension, e.g:
        http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/join.html

        If you use Firefox, I find these 3 quick searches handy:
        "pd" is the keyword to the quicksearch:
        http://perldoc.perl.org/%s.html
        "pdf" is the keyword to the quicksearch:
        http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/%s.html
        "pdg" is the keyword to the quicksearch:
        http://www.google.com/search?q=%s+site%3Aperldoc.perl.org+-filetype%3Apdf
        (if any of the above URLs fold, copy-paste to one line)

        So I can type "pdf join" and jump right to the join function perldoc
        page, or "pdg hash" and get a Google search for the word "hash" on
        perldoc.perl.org, with PDF files excluded.
        Firefox rocks :-)

        Cheers,
        --
        Offer Kaye