Re: [PBML] Searchable Online Documentation

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005

      Mike> Speaking of documentation...

      Mike> I used to use www.perldoc.com quite a bit to help me out with functions
      Mike> I wasn't too familiar with. That web site hasn't been working for me
      Mike> for a while now.

      Mike> Are there any similar web sites that people could recommend? I really
      Mike> liked the keyword search they had. For instance, I could type in "join"
      Mike> and it would show me the format required and how it worked.

      How is that easier than typing:

      perldoc -f join

      and getting the same information from your own disk?

    • Gavin Henry
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
        On Tuesday 05 Apr 2005 20:43, Mike Dillinger wrote:
        > Speaking of documentation...
        >
        > I used to use www.perldoc.com quite a bit to help me out with functions
        > I wasn't too familiar with. That web site hasn't been working for me
        > for a while now.
        >
        > Are there any similar web sites that people could recommend? I really
        > liked the keyword search they had. For instance, I could type in "join"
        > and it would show me the format required and how it worked.

        The new site is now:

        http://perldoc.perl.org

        > Thanks,
        > -MikeD
        >

        > Unsubscribing info is here:

        Just getting into the best language ever...
        Fancy a yourname@... or something
        on http://www.perl.me.uk Just ask!!!
      • Mike Dillinger
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
          Message from "merlyn@..." on 04/05/05 12:47 PM PT quoted:

          > Mike> Speaking of documentation...
          >
          > Mike> I used to use www.perldoc.com quite a bit to help me out with functions
          > Mike> I wasn't too familiar with. That web site hasn't been working for me
          > Mike> for a while now.
          >
          > Mike> Are there any similar web sites that people could recommend? I really
          > Mike> liked the keyword search they had. For instance, I could type in "join"
          > Mike> and it would show me the format required and how it worked.
          >
          > How is that easier than typing:
          >
          > perldoc -f join
          >
          > and getting the same information from your own disk?

          There are a few scenarios. For various reasons, I may not have access
          to perldoc. It may be because the PC I'm using doesn't have Perl at
          all, or someone installed Perl incorrectly and perldoc doesn't work,
          etc. I often get e-mails with code asking what the problem is, and I
          could visit a web site to see that the function call was formatted
          incorrectly and I could get the user back on their way. The PC I'm
          using at any given moment may not have Perl installed. I could continue
          but I believe a pretty clear picture has been painted. More options is
          a good thing - trust me.

          -MikeD
        • Offer Kaye
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
            On Apr 5, 2005 9:58 PM, Gavin Henry wrote:

            > The new site is now:
            >
            > http://perldoc.perl.org

            Specifically, you can get to a Perl topic page (e.g. perlsyn) using the format:
            http://perldoc.perl.org/topicname.html
            E.g.:
            http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsyn.html

            For functions, add "functions/" to the base URL, followed by the
            function name and the ".html" extension, e.g:
            http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/join.html

            If you use Firefox, I find these 3 quick searches handy:
            "pd" is the keyword to the quicksearch:
            http://perldoc.perl.org/%s.html
            "pdf" is the keyword to the quicksearch:
            http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/%s.html
            "pdg" is the keyword to the quicksearch:
            http://www.google.com/search?q=%s+site%3Aperldoc.perl.org+-filetype%3Apdf
            (if any of the above URLs fold, copy-paste to one line)

            So I can type "pdf join" and jump right to the join function perldoc
            page, or "pdg hash" and get a Google search for the word "hash" on
            perldoc.perl.org, with PDF files excluded.
            Firefox rocks :-)

            Cheers,
            --
            Offer Kaye