Searchable Online Documentation

  • Mike Dillinger
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
      Speaking of documentation...

      I used to use www.perldoc.com quite a bit to help me out with functions
      I wasn't too familiar with. That web site hasn't been working for me
      for a while now.

      Are there any similar web sites that people could recommend? I really
      liked the keyword search they had. For instance, I could type in "join"
      and it would show me the format required and how it worked.

      Thanks,
      -MikeD
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005

        Mike> Speaking of documentation...

        Mike> I used to use www.perldoc.com quite a bit to help me out with functions
        Mike> I wasn't too familiar with. That web site hasn't been working for me
        Mike> for a while now.

        Mike> Are there any similar web sites that people could recommend? I really
        Mike> liked the keyword search they had. For instance, I could type in "join"
        Mike> and it would show me the format required and how it worked.

        How is that easier than typing:

        perldoc -f join

        and getting the same information from your own disk?

      • Gavin Henry
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
          On Tuesday 05 Apr 2005 20:43, Mike Dillinger wrote:
          > Speaking of documentation...
          >
          > I used to use www.perldoc.com quite a bit to help me out with functions
          > I wasn't too familiar with. That web site hasn't been working for me
          > for a while now.
          >
          > Are there any similar web sites that people could recommend? I really
          > liked the keyword search they had. For instance, I could type in "join"
          > and it would show me the format required and how it worked.

          The new site is now:

          http://perldoc.perl.org

          > Thanks,
          > -MikeD
          >

          > Unsubscribing info is here:

          Just getting into the best language ever...
          Fancy a yourname@... or something
          on http://www.perl.me.uk Just ask!!!
        • Mike Dillinger
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
            Message from "merlyn@..." on 04/05/05 12:47 PM PT quoted:

            > Mike> Speaking of documentation...
            >
            > Mike> I used to use www.perldoc.com quite a bit to help me out with functions
            > Mike> I wasn't too familiar with. That web site hasn't been working for me
            > Mike> for a while now.
            >
            > Mike> Are there any similar web sites that people could recommend? I really
            > Mike> liked the keyword search they had. For instance, I could type in "join"
            > Mike> and it would show me the format required and how it worked.
            >
            > How is that easier than typing:
            >
            > perldoc -f join
            >
            > and getting the same information from your own disk?

            There are a few scenarios. For various reasons, I may not have access
            to perldoc. It may be because the PC I'm using doesn't have Perl at
            all, or someone installed Perl incorrectly and perldoc doesn't work,
            etc. I often get e-mails with code asking what the problem is, and I
            could visit a web site to see that the function call was formatted
            incorrectly and I could get the user back on their way. The PC I'm
            using at any given moment may not have Perl installed. I could continue
            but I believe a pretty clear picture has been painted. More options is
            a good thing - trust me.

            -MikeD
          • Offer Kaye
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
              On Apr 5, 2005 9:58 PM, Gavin Henry wrote:

              > The new site is now:
              >
              > http://perldoc.perl.org

              Specifically, you can get to a Perl topic page (e.g. perlsyn) using the format:
              http://perldoc.perl.org/topicname.html
              E.g.:
              http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsyn.html

              For functions, add "functions/" to the base URL, followed by the
              function name and the ".html" extension, e.g:
              http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/join.html

              If you use Firefox, I find these 3 quick searches handy:
              "pd" is the keyword to the quicksearch:
              http://perldoc.perl.org/%s.html
              "pdf" is the keyword to the quicksearch:
              http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/%s.html
              "pdg" is the keyword to the quicksearch:
              http://www.google.com/search?q=%s+site%3Aperldoc.perl.org+-filetype%3Apdf
              (if any of the above URLs fold, copy-paste to one line)

              So I can type "pdf join" and jump right to the join function perldoc
              page, or "pdg hash" and get a Google search for the word "hash" on
              perldoc.perl.org, with PDF files excluded.
              Firefox rocks :-)

              Cheers,
              --
              Offer Kaye