Re: [PBML] Re: Remote PC OS info

  • Renu
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2005
      Hi Damien,
      Thanks for your quick reply.
      I'm looking for each and every OS. I'm not sure on which OS the script will run and what all OS it will contact to.
      I wanna make the script generic, which can run on any OS and if the remote PC is Linux box then perform tasks by picking the files based on UNIX and if the remote machine is a HP-UX, then perform according to that.

      I have tried Net::Telnet module as well, but one problem is there that for this the User needs to have this module first. I would prefer to remove this dependency.

      Major is Just OS name i wanna get from the script, rest all i'll set.

      I have gone through lots of Google searches..as well...but could not get the answer of my query.

      Thanks and Regards
      Renuka

      Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...> wrote:

      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Renu <renukabhat@y...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > Can anybody tell me how can i get the OS information of a remote
      machine using Perl.?

      > Thanks and Regards
      > Renu

      I am going to assume that you are dealing with Unix/Linux machines
      because you don't state otherwise.
      Maybe use Net::Telnet to log into the remote machine and run the
      appropriate commands to get information.

      If I have assumed wrong please provide more information:
      - OS of client and remote computers
      - Type of info that you want
      - What things you have tried so far e.g. what Google searches you've done.

    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2005
        Renu wrote:
        [ . . ]

        >> Can anybody tell me how can i get the OS information of a remote
        >
        > machine using Perl.?

        Does the reason to do that involve or for the web pages to be served?
        If it is and if it's Perl-cgi then there are Perl-cgi news lists,
        emailing lists. Such question would be better addressed there.

        ENV var: HTTP_USER_AGENT

        That's one way that I've heard of. But it is possible to send a faked
        string of that. gets it from the web browser.

        http://www.google.com/search?q=cgi+OS+env+variable&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
        http://www.cgi101.com/book/ch3/text.html

        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=perl+cgi+newsgroups+lists&btnG=Search
        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=usenet+perl+cgi+newsgroups&btnG=Search
        --

        HTTP_USER_AGENT The browser type of the visitor

        vast assortment of different strings. Here's a sampling of some:

        Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; DigExt)

        Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120
        Netscape/7.01

        Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030718