Re: [PBML] question

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 4 5:09 AM
      Since most of the messages on this mailing list are either questions, or
      answers to questions, a more descriptive subject would be more appropriate.

      3:58am, neelam wrote:

      > hi everybody
      > i hav one question to ask
      > i have read that we can import modules in perl like
      > math::BigInt;
      > where math module will transfer bigint to current
      > program is it possible to import our own modules ?

      Yes.

      > what we need to do for that

      Reading some documentation would be a good start.
    • Offer Kaye
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 4 5:28 AM
        On Apr 4, 2005 3:09 PM, Paul Archer wrote:

        > Reading some documentation would be a good start.

        Specifically: perlmod, perlmodlib, perlmodstyle.
        The CPAN module "Module::Starter" can also help you get started.

        --
        Offer Kaye
      • Bob Brown
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 14, 2006
          Hello,

          I have a Perl script below where I am trying to load
          log lines into an array (lines 9-15) so that I can
          scan them for particular error messages. I am running
          on a IBM AIX UNIX box. When I debug this script,
          nothing is getting loaded into variable @lnes.

          Can an array hold variable length space-delimited
          lines like this or just single words?

          1 #!/usr/bin/perl
          2 print "Which log do you want a report on: ";
          3 chomp($whichlog=<STDIN>);
          4 open(FILE,"/var/log/" . $whichlog) || die "Could not
          open $whichlog";
          5 $err=0;
          6 $lct=0;
          7 my @lnes=();
          8 print "Loading lines...\n";
          9 while($line=<FILE>){
          10 if ($line =~ /ERROR/ && $line =~ /failed/ &&
          $line !~ /Upload/ && $line !~ /Copy/ && $line !~
          /TranslateIn/ && $line !~ /Archive/){
          11 $lct++;
          12 push(@lnes,$line);
          13 print "$lnes[$lct]\n";
          14 }
          15 }
          16 for ($j=$#lnes;$j=0;$j--){
          17 @fields=split(" ",$lnes[$j]);
          18 $runid = $fields[5];
          19 $path = $fields[13];
          20 @region=split("/",$path);
          21 $reg=$region[2];
          22 $tp=$region[4];
          23 $err++;
          24 print "$err. $lines[$j]\n";
          25
          open(TRFILE,"/CFApps/$reg/log/TRACE/TR$runid.DAT") ||
          warn "Cannot 26open
          /CFApps/$reg/log/TRACE/TR$runid.DAT";

          open(BADFILE,"/CFApps/$reg/PostOffice/ALL/BAD/bad$runid.edi")
          || warn "Cannot open
          /CFApps/$reg/ALL/BAD/bad$runid.edi";
          27 28print
          "****************************************\n";
          29 print "* Runid = $runid\n";
          30 print "* Trace file name = TR$runid.DAT\n";
          31 print "* Bad file name = bad$runid.edi\n";
          32 print "* Region = $reg\n";
          33 print "* Trading Partner = $tp\n";
          34 35print
          "****************************************\n";
          36 $ct=0;
          37 my $first=1;
          38 my @tracerec=();
          39 while ($line2=<TRFILE>){
          40 chomp($line2);
          41 if ($line2 =~ /EDI Line:/){
          42 $ct++;
          43 if ($ct > 50){ last;}
          44 push(@tracerec,$line2);
          45 }
          46 }
          47 for ($i=0;$i<=$#tracerec;$i++){
          48 @dum=split(" ",$tracerec[$i]);
          49 print $tracerec[$i];
          50 if ($dum[$i] =~ "Line:"){
          51 $badline=$dum[$i+1];
          52 last;
          53 }
          54 if ($first == 1){
          55 $line3=<BADFILE>;
          56 $first=0;
          57 $delim=substr($line3,105,1);
          58 print "Segment delimiter is $delim\n";
          59 @bob=split($delim,$line3);
          60 print "Total lines in badfile is
          $#bob\n";
          61 }
          62 print " $badline==>
          $bob[$badline-1]\n";
          }
          63 close(BADFILE);
          64 close(TRFILE);

          Bob Brown

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Mr. Shawn H. Corey
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 14, 2006
            On Wed, 2006-14-06 at 11:05 -0700, Bob Brown wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I have a Perl script below where I am trying to load
            > log lines into an array (lines 9-15) so that I can
            > scan them for particular error messages. I am running
            > on a IBM AIX UNIX box. When I debug this script,
            > nothing is getting loaded into variable @lnes.
            >
            > Can an array hold variable length space-delimited
            > lines like this or just single words?

            An array is an array of scalars. It can hold an ordered list of the same
            things a scalar can, including strings of bytes (not just characters).

            > 1 #!/usr/bin/perl
            > 2 print "Which log do you want a report on: ";
            > 3 chomp($whichlog=<STDIN>);
            > 4 open(FILE,"/var/log/" . $whichlog) || die "Could not
            > open $whichlog";
            > 5 $err=0;
            > 6 $lct=0;
            > 7 my @lnes=();
            > 8 print "Loading lines...\n";
            > 9 while($line=<FILE>){
            > 10 if ($line =~ /ERROR/ && $line =~ /failed/ &&
            > $line !~ /Upload/ && $line !~ /Copy/ && $line !~
            > /TranslateIn/ && $line !~ /Archive/){

            This is rather complex. Are you sure the file has a line that will pass
            this test? Try starting with part of this test and add elements until it
            is complete:
            if ($line =~ /ERROR/) {
            if ($line =~ /ERROR/ && $line =~ /failed/ ){

            > 11 $lct++;
            > 12 push(@lnes,$line);
            > 13 print "$lnes[$lct]\n";

            Prints double-spaced. A better way would be:
            print $line;

            --
            __END__

            Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
            --- Shawn

            "For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
            Aristotle

            * A searchable perldoc is at http://perldoc.perl.org/
          • Chad Perrin
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 14, 2006
              On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:05:43AM -0700, Bob Brown wrote:

              > I have a Perl script below where I am trying to load
              > log lines into an array (lines 9-15) so that I can
              > scan them for particular error messages. I am running
              > on a IBM AIX UNIX box. When I debug this script,
              > nothing is getting loaded into variable @lnes.
              >
              > Can an array hold variable length space-delimited
              > lines like this or just single words?

              Yes, an array can hold variable length space-delimited lines. Of
              course, I'm not sure what you mean by that, necessarily, but none of
              those words in that sentence preclude using an array.

              > 1 #!/usr/bin/perl

              Add these two lines after the shebang line:
              use strict;
              use warnings;

              They're indispensable debugging tools, and should be used for pretty
              much every script you write. Of course, you'll have to declare your
              variables (preferably with "my", potentially with "our") when using the
              strict pragma. You've already done this with @lnes, so I don't know why
              you don't do it with anything else.

              > 2 print "Which log do you want a report on: ";
              > 3 chomp($whichlog=<STDIN>);
              > 4 open(FILE,"/var/log/" . $whichlog) || die "Could not
              > open $whichlog";
              > 5 $err=0;
              > 6 $lct=0;
              > 7 my @lnes=();
              > 8 print "Loading lines...\n";
              > 9 while($line=<FILE>){
              > 10 if ($line =~ /ERROR/ && $line =~ /failed/ &&
              > $line !~ /Upload/ && $line !~ /Copy/ && $line !~
              > /TranslateIn/ && $line !~ /Archive/){

              If nothing is getting loaded into @lnes, chances are good that your
              conditional statement is never returning a true result. Perhaps you
              could provide some test data. First, though, use the strict and
              warnings pragmas and clean up the code a little bit.

              note: I haven't bothered to go through the rest of the script yet. The
              above two items need to be addressed. It would also be easier to work
              with this without the line numbers, but I can be flexible if I have to.

            • Prasanna Goupal
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 15, 2006
                Hi,

                How can i check charset / Encoding of any pdf file?
                If someone know about it then please let me know.

                Thanks in advanced.

                Regards,
                Prasanna A. Goupal

              • Latha M R
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 22, 2007
                  Dear sir/ madam,
                  Thank you for Inviting me to this group.
                  I have one doubt in my project.Can u answer for the following
                  question.
                  1. How can I call C functions or C libraries by using Perl script.
                  thanks & regards ,
                  latha

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 23, 2007

                    Latha> 1. How can I call C functions or C libraries by using Perl script.

                    The simplest way is to install Inline::C from the CPAN, and follow
                    the instructions there.

                  • Robert Brown
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 22, 2007
                      1. How does one do a form feed (ASCII Character 12) using printf or sprintf? My documentation in Perl by Example doesn't show this. I know about the format command but would rather use printf or sprintf.

                      Bob

                    • Roellig Eric-CCEL25
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 22, 2007
                        google search string: ascii "form feed" perl
                        https://www.wikicontent.com/wiki/index.php/Perl_&_LWP:ASCII_Table

                        google search string: ascii "form feed" perl printf
                        http://www-gatago.com/comp/lang/perl/misc/34834558.html
                        http://www.ngbdigital.com/perl_escape.html

                        printf "\fReport Heading - Page %d\n", $page_number;

                        Eric

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 22, 2007

                          Robert> 1. How does one do a form feed (ASCII Character 12) using printf or
                          Robert> sprintf? My documentation in Perl by Example doesn't show this. I know
                          Robert> about the format command but would rather use printf or sprintf.

                          print chr(12); # will certainly do it
                          print "\f"; # will as well