how to do My Perl preferences on Linux ?

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm running into issues with how to have Perl the way I prefer it to be.

      The default /usr/bin/perl often is a distro specific (maintained by a
      package maintainer)

      If I try to use it then I install additional stuff using the cpan module
      but then later that same stuff can get broken by just updating the
      system wherein also some new changes to some of the default Perl stuff.

      --
      I'm now wondering if I should:

      1. just not disturb /usr/bin/perl (it's 5.8.4 there's many debian
      modules ie stuff for apt and others)

      2. go ahead and install Perl 5.8.6 into /usr/local/bin/perl and
      then customize/preference ie modules I want etc. AND in my own scripts
      just use shebang line #!/usr/local/bin/perl
      --

      I'm running nearly Debian Sid. I said nearly because in actuality I
      booted from Knoppix 3.7 CD disk then ran knoppix-installer then chose

      --
      Alan.
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2005
        Alan wrote:

        >[ . . ]
        >I'm now wondering if I should:
        >
        > 1. just not disturb /usr/bin/perl (it's 5.8.4 there's many debian
        >modules ie stuff for apt and others)
        >
        > 2. go ahead and install Perl 5.8.6 into /usr/local/bin/perl and
        >then customize/preference ie modules I want etc. AND in my own scripts
        >just use shebang line #!/usr/local/bin/perl

        I speak of scenario is workstation/desktop and I login as root whenever
        I want to mess_up/fix/administer

        Just me, user_al and the root account

        no other users of the machine.

        Thanks.

        --
        Alan.
      • Alan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          Alan wrote:

          >Hi,

          [ tried to use of cpan on a distro's /usr/bin/perl versus instead to
          compiling/installing Perl into /usr/local/bin/perl then use the cpan on
          the latter of the two Perl]

          If anyone curious or interested I posted on linuxquestions.org and a
          discussion ensued:

          http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296540

          --
          Alan.