Re: [other] [PBML] running command-line perl on win2k

  • Don Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2005
      If all you want to learn is Perl and you are using a Windows machine, stick
      with ActivePerl from the ActiveState web site. Its better supported than
      other Windows 'Perl' products and it is a very easy install. Just run the
      install program and accept all the defaults and you'll have it running in a
      couple of minutes.

      I have installed Indigoperl and its a good product (actually, a suite of
      products) that I haven't had any problems with.

      You'll get more than you need because it not only installs Perl, but an
      Apache Web Server, Mod_Perl, PHP, etc.
      It pretty much installs "out of the box" and if you want all the bells &
      whistles on a Windows machine, for development purposes only, its definitely
      the way to go for someone comfortable with Perl and moving into web
      applications (as a beginner). http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

      I tinker with web development and wanted mod_perl, so that's why I installed
      it. I wouldn't recommend it for a production platform because it runs on
      Windows (and I'm NOT a Windows fan), but I have ported code directly from my
      Windows machine and ran it on my Linux server (hosted service) with no
      problems.

      My recommendation, for what its worth, is to stick with ActiveState until
      you are comfortable with Perl and then add the other stuff (Apache,
      mod_perl, etc.) because you could spend hours chasing relatively simple
      problems if you don't know the basics.

      I hope this helps.

      Don