assistance requested with installation

  • Adams, Matthew (GE Consumer & Industrial)
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2005
      I'm an Oracle DBA attempting to install Perl 5.8.6 so I can start experimenting with DBD/DBI:Oracle for use as a application development environment. My environment is HP-UX 11.11. I'm having some problems and I was hoping to get some help. For brevity, I'll avoid posting the entire output from the various make commands, so if I leave something important out, please let me know and I'll post it.

      I'm making my way throught the README.hpux doc, but I'm not even sure I'm understanding everything I'm reading (not being a hardware guy)

      1)
      After running configure (with -A prepend:libswanted='cl pthread '),
      I run 'make' and get the following at the end of the compiles.
      ------------

      Making threads::shared (dynamic)
      /oracle/tmp/perl-5.8.6/ext/threads/shared

      Making Errno (nonxs)
      /oracle/tmp/perl-5.8.6/ext/Errno
      *** Error exit code 1 (ignored)

      Everything is up to date. Type 'make test' to run test suite.
      $
      --------

      I have read various posts on the web that imply it is ok to ingore this error and proceed with 'make test', but I was hoping to find confirmation here.

      2) I proceed with 'make test'. 3 tests fail, the rest succeed.

      The tests that fail are:
      lib/ExtUtils/t/basic
      lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant
      lib/ExtUtils/t/Install

      as instructed in the docs, I run './perl harness' in the t directory.
      The lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant test still fails.

      So, I try running it by hand to see if I can determine the cause of failure.

      ./perl lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant.t

      Now, here is where it gets really weird. Ran it three different times; it failed twice (in two different places, but with the same error) and succeeded once. When failing, the error is:

      ------------
      ok 64
      ok 65
      # make = 'make'

      Stop.
      not ok 66 # make failed: 256
      # Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
      # Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
      # make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1 || /bin/sh -c true
      # ../../perl "-I../../../lib" "-I../../../lib" Makefile.PL "PERL_CORE=1"
      # Checking if your kit is complete...
      # Looks good
      # Writing Makefile for ExtTest
      # ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
      # ==> Please rerun the make command. <==
      # false
      # *** Error exit code 1
      # ext-10780 being removed...
      ------

      Why would the failure not be consistent?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      ----
      Matt Adams - GE Appliances - matt.adams@...
      "Doing linear scans over an associative array is like
      trying to club someone to death with a loaded Uzi."
      - Larry Wall (creator of Perl)